Colour change on import into Lightroom

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know why when I import RAW images from my CF card into Lightroom, even though I have no import settings designated..... each pic, when opened larger, suddenly slightly changes colour while it is loading to preview?

ie.. I import pics into Lightroom.. then when I open one of a red squirel to view in Loupe... as it says "loading" the squirrels coat goes from a nice rusty red suddenly to a more orangey colour. Takes about 2 seconds after starting to load it....does it on every pic. :shrug:

Is is a 'Develop settings' or colour space problem? I installed LR2 recently, and discovered it had changed the colour space to Adobe RGB from sRGB which it'd been set up as for LR1.4, but I thought that only applied to exports?

If you have tweaked your in camera settings then the image that is displayed on the lcd will show the image (in the form of an in-camera generated jpeg) with those applied, however Lightroom doesn't recognise any in camera changes to saturation etc and displays the original RAW file.

If you have tweaked your in camera settings then the image that is displayed on the lcd will show the image (in the form of an in-camera generated jpeg) with those applied, however Lightroom doesn't recognise any in camera changes to saturation etc and displays the original RAW file.

So would it actually import with the changes then discard them 2 second after cos that is what is happening?

Also, and it may not be the same problem but recent shots in lightroom tranferered to cs3 and printed are showing scarlet in cs3 on screen then print as a lighter orangey colour. :shrug:
Didnt used to do that.

Janice

Do the shots look the same on screen in LR as well as CS3?

Might be worthwhile checking the printing parameters in CS3, just in case something has changed and you've not noticed.

Photoshop may not be making use of the profiles you selected, or may have switched to "Printer manages Colour". or vice versa

Also if you are using a profiled system try soft proofing to see if you get a similar effect, maybe the orange is out of gamut and that's why the difference??

Cheers

John C

So would it actually import with the changes then discard them 2 second after cos that is what is happening?

Yes,that's exactly what it did with the shots from my D300 when I had custom settings applied. It took me ages to figure out why it was happening!

With the Nikon the only way to preserve the camera settings is to import into Capture NX, but I don't know what the scenario would be with Canon.

Well as far as printing goes i have for the first time used Photoshop manages colours and it looks good so I will keep it! Dont know what the problem was but I dont care as long as it looks good now! :D

As for the colour switch while loading into Lightroom.. I will try loading into DPP and see. I did actually make a bit of colur switch in cam to view the jpg in the LCD better but as I only take RAW I thought it wouldnt matter.

Thanks guys.

Yes,that's exactly what it did with the shots from my D300 when I had custom settings applied. It took me ages to figure out why it was happening!

With the Nikon the only way to preserve the camera settings is to import into Capture NX, but I don't know what the scenario would be with Canon.

I THINK LR2 is disgaurding your in-camera settings and reverting back to the unaltered RAW image as you download. Try downloading into Canon's Digital Photo Professional software (if you have it installed) and look at the image information in there against your in-camera settings. Then have a look at the same image information in LR2. If LR2 is disguarding your camera settings the custom info will be different.

If you can find out where the discrepancy is you'll be half way to putting it right.

Hope that kind of helps? :thinking:

DPP makes use of the cameras Picture Style settings which LR 1.4 and the non updated version 2 doesn't so you will probably see a difference between the images displayed in that and LR.

As mentioned LR 2.0 and 2.1 will make use of the camera style setting if you download them from the Adobe site. Now these setting aren't the Canon ones they are the ones that Adobe have created to approximate the camera originals. Works for Nikon as well a other camera manufacturers.

The initial image LR shows is the embedded jpg in the raw file. Once LR has read the raw file and applied the default settings the preview is updated (Try shooting with a b/w picture style to see this in action). If LR didn't show a preview until it had generated its own you wouldn't be aware this was happening.

If the switch from embedded to generated preview bothers you create a develop preset that matches the camera settings and have LR apply that on import. The change will still happen but, if you get the values spot on, you won't notice it.

Back