Colour correction question DSColour/Loxley

Edit My Images
No
I recently ordered a batch of proofcards from DSCL, all printed on Lustre Fuji paper.

From the passport size photo on the proof cards, I found they appeared
to be darker than expected, which some colour shift (red is
quite obvious).
As they are proof cards, I didn't apply DSCL custom profile or opt for
colour correction.

The same file has been sent to Loxley lab, also lustre but Fuji
Crystal Archive DPII paper (no custom profile but did ask for colour
correction), they came out very pleasing. If you compare the two, the
difference on colour are huge.

My monitor is colour corrected awhile ago.

Checking via DSCL ICC profile and compared to SRGB in PS, it appears to be brighter on my screen, but I don't think it justified the different as seen from proofcards.

What do you think I/DSColour have got it wrong? How to improve on this?

I notice DSCL uses Fuji Frontier printer - same as Photobox. Not sure what Loxley uses.

You.ve asked for colour correction with Loxley but not with DSCL, bound to be a difference!

I think I may have opt for correction with DSCL
DSCL presents following option:
Lustre, Presized, Pre-corrected (Pro Only)
Lustre, Autocorrected, Standard service.

I cant remember which option I used, I think it is #2

Well something is not right, if your monitor is calibrated what you see on your screen should be what DSCL or Loxley see on theirs, that's the whole point of calibration.

I have just ordered a sample print from DSCL, will match that with monitor.
Indeed Loxley looked very close to what I see on the screen.
Also could quality of the file, size of the image make a difference?
I did allow DSCL to 'optimise' the size of file and as said, the image on the proofcard is passport size.

progress report:
I calibrate monitor using eye one display (or i1 display) again. set to colour temp 6500. gamma 2.2, luminous 120.
compare that to the proof print from DSCL, the print looked a tad too dark. swiftly bring the brightness down from 97.7% to 76.4%.
Also notice the fuji green is shown more towards translucence green as well as red being more vibrant. I then messed around individual channels a bit to no gain.
:(

most likely a bit too bright

progress report:
I calibrate monitor using eye one display (or i1 display) again. set to colour temp 6500. gamma 2.2, luminous 120.
compare that to the proof print from DSCL, the print looked a tad too dark. swiftly bring the brightness down from 97.7% to 76.4%.
Also notice the fuji green is shown more towards translucence green as well as red being more vibrant. I then messed around individual channels a bit to no gain.
:(

I have played monitor profile around these settings:

colour temp 6500. gamma 2.2, luminance 120/90/70

Doesn't seem there is a huge difference when the luminance (brightness/black point) changed comparing to the proof print.

What should I do?

when i use dcsl i dont use there profiles as i find it was the colours out mainly red, i sedn as srgb9which is the closest match to there proiles and its spot on(also no colour correction)

also when you calibrated you monitor have you turned off any other calibration stuff like adobe gamma(if you have it).

Last edited:
Back