Commercial scanning of 5 x 4 B/W negatives

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
This has probably been asked before, but I can't find anything.

Does anyone use a modest/low cost scanning service for 5x4 b/w negatives.

I'm aware of at least one high quality service, but in the absence of a personal flatbed for "proofing" scans I'm looking for a low cost service to use until, and if, I get a scanner.

All a bit tentative as I work out whether I am going to dig out my 5x4.

Hi Graham,

Firstly, I'm afraid I don't know of many; filmscanuk prices start at about £4/scan, but I've not used them myself and I wouldn't know how this compares. I'd guess this was on the cheaper end of the spectrum though for 5x4. I guess the issue for most though, is that as soon as you've asked them to scan 50 frames, you're half way to a new Epson V700, so I'd guess that most just bite the bullet and get a scanner.

You should definitely dig out your 5x4. No doubt about it :D

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

Firstly, I'm afraid I don't know of many; filmscanuk prices start at about £4/scan, but I've not used them myself and I wouldn't know how this compares.

You should definitely dig out your 5x4. No doubt about it :D

Thanks, Tim Parkin's prices are £18.00 and £25.00 for drum scans, which would be OK for the occasional exhibition print http://www.drumscanning.co.uk/

£4.00 is much more like the price I'm looking for at the moment.

I think the thing about buying a scanner is a) I don't physically have the space for one and b) I'm not convinced I will stick with 5x4 even though I'm smitten with the idea at the moment. If it really becomes part of my day to day photography then I will sort out a scanner, but for now I need to trial the process.

I have however, dug out my old MPP and had a play in the garden which I really enjoyed, apart from reminding myself about all the reasons why I didn't like using MPP technical cameras ! After getting a Sinar (no longer available), the MPPs were rarely used, but the folding flatbed is obviously much more useful for landscape.

Interestingly, it wasn't until the day after that I realised the images were upside down when looking through the camera. It has been 40+ years since I was using 5x4's everyday, and my mind obviously hasn't forgotten how to automatically turn the image the right way round.

Do you have any suggestions on where to buy film and chemicals?

Totally understand about the space point you raise, Graham; every decision I make to buy something has to fit into my tiny flat :D

Tim Parkin's work is excellent, I hear, but as you say, more suited to book writing work or exhibitions perhaps. As I say, I've never used the one I mentioned, I'd just heard of them before now. It would be worth seeking some opinions from those that may have used them before, I wouldn't want to recommend something that, even at their prices, turns out to be a dud.

I really hope 5x4 works for you in the long term. Personally I love LF, but I suppose my journey towards it started with 35mm, then immediately to digital, then slowly back to film where now I shoot film almost exclusively.

As for buying film, there is a really good selection still. Best to hunt around for the best prices, but to name a few, there is:

Silverprint
Analoguewonderland
bristol cameras
ntphotoworks
ag-photographic
teamworkphoto
japan exposures (import)
fotoimpex
macodirect
Harmantechnology

There will be more, I just can't think of any right now. Not all of those will supply chems though, so again best to have a nose around

I really hope 5x4 works for you in the long term. Personally I love LF, but I suppose my journey towards it started with 35mm, then immediately to digital, then slowly back to film where now I shoot film almost exclusively.

Thanks for the list, some I had heard of, but others are totally new to me.

I like the ritual of 5x4, but I also like the flexibility and ease of digital, and not sure about splitting my efforts between the two.

You could pick up an old Epson 3870 or 4990 for not too much. Light path might need a clean but that's easy enough

You could pick up an old Epson 3870 or 4990 for not too much. Light path might need a clean but that's easy enough

I could, but as I said there is a problem finding space for a scanner, and I don't want to go to the substantial effort of working out where I can put it, unless I'm convinced I'm going to carry on with using the 5x4, hence the reason for the temporary solution of using a commercial scanning service.

Having said that, if a 4990 copped up at a silly price, I would find it difficult not to go for it. I'm not familiar with the 3870 and not seen it mentioned in the list of suitable scanners for 5x4 so I will check it out. Thanks.

Back