Compact camera for a video with weather sealing

ntz

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everybody ...

after 5 years of considering so I decided to elevate my landscape photography endeavour to another level and start vlogging my photography journey. I've spent incredible time studying what video camera equipment I should go with and my opinions were changing over the time as well ... I've spent many hours reading tens of reviews and my list just finally shrunk into two cameras ... Nikon Z30+16-50kit lens Vs Sony ZV-1 .. if I had to list my priorities in proper order, it would be

0) [implicit] - must be real camera with lens and optical zoom (24-70 fx equivalent would be 105% enough) , not a gopro or osmo or anything like that
1) compact and light - it really matters to me probably the most, zv-1 wins here
2) weather sealed - so important, based on my understanding neither camera is weather sealed ... z30 has some level of weather sealing but it could be described as poor as far as I understand ++ kit z 16-50 lens is yet another story ... this lens is not weather sealed as far as I understand .. but z30 wins here because according to many zv-1 and especially the mic placement is potentially where things will go real bad in wet environment
3) fully articulated screen + ergonomics .. both have FAS but nikon wins here a little because simply it has "Nikon ergonomics"
4) acceptable continuous autofocus for a video - sony wins here a bit, a class leader, but Nikon has very reliable autofocus too

These are my the most important factors .. As you see I don't mention things like video-quality because I believe that all recent cameras (for a video) have good video quality (however there's certainly a notable difference in IQ because aps-c is almost 4 times bigger than 1") .. Ofc it would be nice if it had an EVF/OVF but I don't think that such a camera exist .. despite things mentioned above I am leaning towards sony zv-1 more because I would love to employ this camera on my alpinism endeavours as well and when you climb in the mountains on the rope (and/or in winter) then size really (really, really) matters

Please share your thoughts with me ... Maybe you can bring to the game another player with unique qualities that I've overlooked earlier .. I am particularly not happy with neither camera ...

my use of the camera: outdoor vlogging and/or my primary camera for mountaineering adventures that will involve real climbing (with rope)

thanks and regards, ~dan

edit:

ps. I don't own / use smartphone ... I use "dumbphone" .. TheLightPhone actually

Last edited:
Olympus EM1 MK2.

Superb weather sealing with an appropriate lens.

Mirrorless so not a compact but small enough I'd have thought.

Great AF ability now it has phase detect AF.

4k 30 ability (and FHD @60 fps if needed for slo mo)

OMlog400 so can shoot in the flat profile to be colour graded.

Last edited:
Olympus EM1 MK2.

hi .. thanks much ... I've forgot to mention to not be very expensive ... my family situation changed and em1 is really a new system that will require lens and so .. I would even prefer if the camera will not be some super-duper recent model .. I love to buy used .. I want to invest maximally 1000 eurs

@GreenNinja67 ... interesting, I am looking on it now (mpb, ebay, our other local sites with second hand stuff) ... but pff, it has 574g with batteries .. way way more than compact camera ... I sometimes fall into impressing that people are obsessed with image quality too much ... my cameras for stills are Nikons and for big hiking I use my D7200+18-140 .. em1 is rather another camera that will be redundant to my gear that is D850 and D7200 (when I want to go lighter) .. I am really looking for small camera dedicated in 95% cases just for a video only ..

@GreenNinja67 - haha (I consider it as joke otherwise you're going from one extreme to other)

If you want light and weatherproof for vlogging, it is worth considering a GoPro.

The kit you use to film isn't important, your viewers will likely not know, or care. What will stand out is what is being filmed, how you present/the information you are sharing etc. That is where I would recommend spending your time, preparing, not worrying about kit.

(@GreenNinja67 beat me to it)

ZV-1 is decent stills camera ... it only doesn't have a weather sealing ... there are a lot of cameras that I have zero experience with ... Canon G7x mk.3 or Lumix G7 or Canon R50 .. relatively a lot of cameras ... talking about compacts the zv-1 (or other ZV sony line like ZV-E10) or canon g7x are candidates

@Craikeybaby - I've forgot to mention, let me edit my first post in this thread .. I still want real a camera with lens that has kind of optical zoom .. gopro or dji osmo or anything like that is not an option (or phone - I don't have any)

You mention a G7 which is a Micro 4/3 camera (like the EM1 MK2).

Sure it won't be too heavy?

And it's not weather sealed

@GreenNinja67 - yeah, I just ask ... there are relatively a lot of (compact) cameras that look very appealing, for example sony HX line or sony cybershot or canon powershot but the information about them is scarced, especially describing a real-world-use experience .. for me the most important factors are (as described above) size and weight, some level of weather sealing and fully articulated display (or display that can be flipped 180 degrees up - point is to see the display while shooting video aimed at myself) .. I still believe, that out there exists a camera that will have these features ... once you start adding weight and size then your hands are untied and you can pick from many cameras .. it's absolutely not an issue to buy a good mirrorless camera with smaller body and with interchangeable lenses .. I would not ask for this (actually into this category falls z30 which is on the halfway between real mirrorless with EVF and small compact)

I think the only option of weather proof and front facing screen has been given.

Otherwise a camera raincoat.

@GreenNinja67 - yeah, I just ask ... there are relatively a lot of (compact) cameras that look very appealing, for example sony HX line or sony cybershot or canon powershot but the information about them is scarced, especially describing a real-world-use experience .. for me the most important factors are (as described above) size and weight, some level of weather sealing and fully articulated display (or display that can be flipped 180 degrees up - point is to see the display while shooting video aimed at myself) .. I still believe, that out there exists a camera that will have these features ... once you start adding weight and size then your hands are untied and you can pick from many cameras .. it's absolutely not an issue to buy a good mirrorless camera with smaller body and with interchangeable lenses .. I would not ask for this (actually into this category falls z30 which is on the halfway between real mirrorless with EVF and small compact)
Precisely why I suggested the EM1 MK2. You won't get better weather sealing for your money buy you'll need to use the right lenses.

Hi,

after serious considering I've finally aimed at Sony RX100 mk.7 ... it doesn't have weather sealing but it is a pocket monster even tad smaller than ZV-1 but with 24-200 lens and with retractable EVF ... Moreover I owned in past RX100 mk.4 so I am a bit familiar with the concept and menus (but who in the world could be "familiar" with Sony menus, the tool of great punishment and torture designed and developed to molest photographers solely) ..

I am still a bit in doubts about that a ZV-1's f/1.8-2.8 24-70 equiv lens could be for a pure videography better than RX100's darker f/2.8-4.5 24-200 equiv lenses (according to reviews they reach f/4 already at 40mm) and also the price tag on RX100 deters me a bit, but .... pff, what the heck .. too many options just make people picky and unsatisfied with anything ..

cheers, ~dan

Enjoy it!

• Love
Reactions: ntz
Back