compact cameras wide/telephoto switch

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
_DSC7675.jpg

This is the top of my panasonic DC-TZ 95 compact camera. On issue I have been having is a sticking W/T lever, getting it work well sometimes it didn't, or not how it should work. First thought was the lens entended and retracting causing the problem but it wasn't, it was that little lever on top. Again first idea was WD40 but stopped in time as that could have made it worse. Electrical contact oil cleaner? possibly, but how about lens cleaner instead? This is alcohol free and isoproponicoil. if it cleans lenses why not shift a bit if dirt under the wheel? a couple of drops seems to have worked and it is back to almost as it should be.

There is one downside to this , I was contemplating getting a new Panasonic compact camera with a 1" sensor , but as soon as the boss"er indoors" knows it is working ok again bye bye new camera

Last edited:
There is one downside to this , I was contemplating getting a new Panasonic compact camera with a 1" sensor , but as soon as the boss"er indoors" knows it is working ok again bye bye new camera
Dunno, looks pretty broken and non-repairable to me... ;)

I think the photo makes it look worse than it is
Woosh... it is 'definitely' broken and unrepairable. ;) ;) ;) I think the only solution is a new camera.;):p

Realistically beyond what you have done already maybe a blast from some compressed air to get the dirt out?

Last edited:
I think the photo makes it look worse than it is

Certainly does, looks like it has been at the bottom of a lake!

I have used the TZ series since the TZ1 (still have it, still works like new) and have never had any problems with any of the controls, and the zoom lever gets used just about every time the camera is used.

I honestly don't know what "isoproponicoil" is, but I would not use IPA on anything with printed text, as it will remove some.

Servisol is designed to be safe with most plastics, I have never had it cause any damage to anything, I use it a lot and often.

Many lens cleaners are water based, and some are alcohol based (often not a high percentage), personally I wouldn't want to put them on a switch, it has probably worked by dislodging some dirt, but I would be concerned about any corrosion further down the line.

I reckon a JCB should get most of the crud out from around those switches.

what i was really thinking of getting was a compact 4K camera with a 1" sensor and a flip up screen and a long battery life. price range around £500/600 mark. A bridge camera is too big to fit into a pocket so all those re not considered. forget nikon they don't make them the panasonic and not a model that came into production 8/9 years ago either, but something that came out in the last few years.
the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ200D I looked at but doesn't seem to have a flip sreen, this is an upgraed version of the TZ200
Canon don't do a compact camera with a 1" sensor

Sony do the spec with theSony Cyber-shot RX100 Mark VA @ £800 but a bit over budget,
the Sony ZV-1 Compact Camera is a possible option I will look more into. Just checked it out and looks as if it meets what I am after. or at least the nearest one so far

Have a look at slightly older versions of the latest and (?) greatest - the new bells and whistles may not be important to you so the premium price for the new one could have driven down last year's models' prices.

what i was really thinking of getting was a compact 4K camera with a 1" sensor and a flip up screen and a long battery life. price range around £500/600 mark. A bridge camera is too big to fit into a pocket so all those re not considered. forget nikon they don't make them the panasonic and not a model that came into production 8/9 years ago either, but something that came out in the last few years.
the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ200D I looked at but doesn't seem to have a flip sreen, this is an upgraed version of the TZ200
Canon don't do a compact camera with a 1" sensor

Sony do the spec with theSony Cyber-shot RX100 Mark VA @ £800 but a bit over budget,
the Sony ZV-1 Compact Camera is a possible option I will look more into. Just checked it out and looks as if it meets what I am after. or at least the nearest one so far
Note the ZV1 is 24-70 eqiv, not much on the long end. There is digital zoom but thats never the best option. Pretty decent in low light though for a compact.
I find I use a Lumix TZ80 more, it's not as good a sensor, but it's 24-600 and something, the long end is actually usable (I've post samples on the forum somewhere), not great in low light though.

Back