Review COMPARISON TRY OUT

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok Just shot the same picture at the same time just now indoors with my Nikon D800 using CF card as main in RAW and the backup SD card in Jpeg fine. Both cards were Sandisk CF 32gb at 60mb/s and SD card 32GB at 90 MB's

So both pictures have no camera variation when shot . The picture below was taken with my camcorder so nothing alters being a completely seperate unit. The only thing done was to reduce both to display on here as one shot.

data below each photo if you can see it. Photobucket makes it larger

left Jpeg right RAW

I never thought there was that much difference between RAW and Jpeg.

Please no comment on picture quality I know it ain't that good but if anyone knows why there is such a difference I would like to know

Last edited:
The Jpeg image has some processing in the camera while the raw has none (or minimal) would be my guess.

Thanks Mark (huffy) sounds logical to me. I only put this up because I have not seen this comparison done before on TP and was curious. No that is not exactly the whole reason. We are going on a couple of cruises next year and 2017 already booked, I don't want to have to search each RAW file individually when I can see them all in Jpeg first and then pick out the keepers .

Who said I didn't find my last brain cell I lost on the floor :eek::D:banana:

Last edited:
If you take your pictures in RAW they still appear as jpg's on the back of the camera, and also when you download them and open them in Bridge (or your favourite processing software).

You then just process what you want, either individually or as batches of images taken in similar lighting conditions.

You can apply presets that give you a similar look to the in-camera jpg's very easily, or make your own preset.

Biggest advantage of RAW is that there is so much more information you can use if taking pictures in difficult conditions.

HTH.

I shoot RAW plus JPEG most of the time. I'd check out the keepers, maybe doing some initial exploratory processing of the jpeg, and then go to RAW for most of the keepers., but not all. Sometimes the jpeg was good enough I didn't need to go to the RAW. I was ending up doing more and more post-prcessing and wondered if i was doing too much. Could I process more of the jpegs?

I set the in-camera JPEG options to least noise processng, low contrast, low saturation, and low sharpening to see if that gave me me more latitude of dynamic range etc. in post processing of the jpegs. It definitely did! Now most of my keepers end up being processed from the JPEG only. The few which are special favourites or specially demanding are all that I go to the RAW files for. That's reduced my post processing times a lot.

As has already been said, the benefit of RAW is that it allows YOU to choose the settings. The other benefit, is that it records a lot more data enabling you to rescue shadows, blown highlights etc. I find that on average I find that it gives about 2 stops extra DR. (1 either side).

I know you didn't want critique on the image however it shows the one of the key benefits of RAW. On the NEF file the WB is a lot more accurate, however again you can adjust the WB to suit. As to the JPEG I would say that the WB is too yellow, the only way to fix is through adjust the tint rather than the WB.

I shoot RAW plus JPEG most of the time. I'd check out the keepers, maybe doing some initial exploratory processing of the jpeg, and then go to RAW for most of the keepers., but not all. Sometimes the jpeg was good enough I didn't need to go to the RAW. I was ending up doing more and more post-prcessing and wondered if i was doing too much. Could I process more of the jpegs?

I set the in-camera JPEG options to least noise processng, low contrast, low saturation, and low sharpening to see if that gave me me more latitude of dynamic range etc. in post processing of the jpegs. It definitely did! Now most of my keepers end up being processed from the JPEG only. The few which are special favourites or specially demanding are all that I go to the RAW files for. That's reduced my post processing times a lot.

Surely if you did that it would also affect The RAW on the other card as well? Remember the shot is being recorded to both main and secondary memory cards. On the Nikon D800 if you go into shooting menu - set picture control- you get 6 options to adjust from - standard to landscape. Choose any one of these and it takes you to another 6 options from- quick adjust to hue. However these settings will apply to both cards not just to the second Jpeg one.
So i don't know how you can do your suggestion (in red) without one affecting the other

Surely if you did that it would also affect The RAW on the other card as well? Remember the shot is being recorded to both main and secondary memory cards. On the Nikon D800 if you go into shooting menu - set picture control- you get 6 options to adjust from - standard to landscape. Choose any one of these and it takes you to another 6 options from- quick adjust to hue. However these settings will apply to both cards not just to the second Jpeg one.
So i don't know how you can do your suggestion (in red) without one affecting the other
Setting in-camera JPEG processing options changes the default settings according to which the RAW file will be processed, provided you're using a RAW processor which pays attention to those. You are quite free to override these when processing RAW in any way you like. The image information captured in the RAW file is not affected in any way at all. If your RAW processor pays attention to these default RAW processing options then the initial appearance of your RAW file on the your computer screen will look different in the way selected, but you are free to change any and all of these setting while processing the RAW file to anything you like.

The simplistic and most obvious way to allow this RAW v jpeg equation to be seen using a suitable camera, is to set the camera to shoot in b/w. The jpegs will reflect this setting, but the RAWs will remain in glorious colour.

Please no comment on picture quality I know it ain't that good but if anyone knows why there is such a difference I would like to know

I know you have stated the above but I just wanted to make you aware of the print screen option of your computer. It will likely be on the top row of your keyboard (labelled prnt-scrn). If you press this it will capture a screenshot of your desktop which you can then paste into Paint or other image package and save as jpg to upload here. Pressing Alt at the same time will capture the active window rather than the full desktop.

Depending on your operating system there are some other utilities available that do a the same job with a few more bells and whistles, and there are third party options that may be worth looking into.

Just wanted to make you aware of this if you are doing similar tests in future. It will take the camcorder element out of the process, so hopefully easier for you and less confusing for others offering theories.

Last edited:
The simplistic and most obvious way to allow this RAW v jpeg equation to be seen using a suitable camera, is to set the camera to shoot in b/w. The jpegs will reflect this setting, but the RAWs will remain in glorious colour.

No sorry but you are wrong. Just tried mono setting and both RAW and Jpeg are in mono, ie black and white. The Nikon D800 I would have thought a suitable camera

No sorry but you are wrong. Just tried mono setting and both RAW and Jpeg are in mono, ie black and white. The Nikon D800 I would have thought a suitable camera
The RAW isn't black and white, I don't know what you're opening it with, but as above you can switch off the in camera settings. Honest, have a go.

Do I understand you correctly when you are saying these settings ( shooting menu - set picture control- you get 6 options to adjust from - standard to landscape. Choose any one of these and it takes you to another 6 options from- quick adjust to hue.) are for only for Jpeg and not for RAW as well then
I'm not sure how they work for your camera model but these are known as picture styles on my canon - it will be the same principal. They basically equate to image templates where things like wb, sharpness and saturation have been predefined. When you shoot a jpg image these values are applied to the image in camera (think of it as the camera doing your post processing for you based on the "filter" you have selected). Once the filter has been applied, that's the image that is saved, and any addition information not required for the image gets discarded.

Now with a RAW file, these values are a bit meaningless as the file is basically a capture of all the information your sensor can pick up, nothing gets thrown away. The idea being that you can process these images, in multiple ways if you so choose, later on. That doesn't mean that the picture style you chose at the time of capture is ignored, it gets recorded as some metadata along with the file, but it all depends on the application you are viewing the RAW file is can detect that setting and use it to render the image.

I tend to use Adode Lightroom as my RAW editor, simply because it streamlines my workflow nicely. In LR the picture style gets ignored, but there are some alternate ones I can choose if I do wish, or I can edit the image in a way that I find appealing. If I were to use Canon's own RAW editor that came with my camera I could see the image with my original picture style setting; it reads this info from the metadata. I can still switch off this filter or choose on of the other ones as needed from within the application.

With the JPG I won't have the option, the settings have been applied already, so if I need to change anything I'll have to push or stretch the values in my post processing application, based only on the information available in that image (rather than the more complete information set in my RAW file).

I hope that makes some sense!

Are you reviewing on the back of the camera or on your PC. The screen camera lcd shows a the RAW processed with your chosen JPEG settings. Once on the PC in ACR you will see the unprocessed RAW file.

It is a suitable camera. You must be using a RAW viewer which defaults its image processing to the camera JPEG settings. You have to turn off the B/W setting.

Really?:banghead:

If you actually understood the processes involved you wouldn't make such comments.

The D800 is more than capable.....,

Huge big apology to everyone I have learnt something new now. Yes even if taken in B/W the RAW does stay in colour when in an editing suit but not on the camera screen. Thanks so much for all your help

Back