Complete Lighting Newbie...

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
I really need help with lighting! I'm in the process of trying to set up a mini studio... What would be the essentials? Advice with which brands and where to get it from would be great too... I know this is a lot to ask but I'd really appreciate any help with anything lighting related!

Thank you!

Yes, the Strobist blog (and Flickr group) are great resources. But that's only one option you have. I use that method of lighting because we travel quite a bit, so it makes things more easy.

There are some basic guides to lighting by Garry Edwards. He's posted them in this thread http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=61463
I'm sure they will help answer your first questions.

(Edit)

Beaten to it :D

i reckon hotshoe flashes make great mini studios, depends how mini how want to go?

Thanks for all the links, I'll be sure to have a read up when I'll actually take some of it in! My studio is basically going to be half my garage... Uh, 10x10ft maybe... I'm not really sure!

If you think you will want to be mobile with your lighting kit then go the Strobist route as mentioned above, but if you planning to make it a more or less permanent fixture in your garage/studio then, you'd probably be better with a "proper" (did I just type that? :shake: :LOL:) set of studio lights.

if you are semi permanent maybe studio lights would be better (never used them) but i work out of my uni room so its speedlight all the way

sorry flash in the pan, i said the same thing as i didn't see your post, apparently i type slow

Back