Complete Newbie/ Novice

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Newbie here! :wave:

After taking photographs on my mobile phone and digital camera of some nice scenery by family have complimented my photography. Therefore I've decided to pursue a hobby in photography and purchase a decent DSLR Camera.

Now, I only know tiny little bits about photography, so I'm looking for a bit of advice on which camera to buy.

People that I have asked seem to be recommending a Canon EOS, but I have seen a Sony A200 pack bundled with a 18-70mm and 75-300mm lens for £449. Does this seem like a decent price for the bundle and is it an ideal camera for a beginner? If not, what sort of camera/ lens would you recommend for a beginner with a budget of around £300-450?

Thanks for your help. :)

Hi and welcome :wave:

It's quite a personal thing so I would;

First thing to do is to go into a camera shop and have a play around with the different makes and models available, see which feels the best (as there are different sized bodies) and whose controls are most intuative to use.

If you've not had one previously, you have no reason tobuy one over another, other than above and cost.

Camera price buster is a good site to look on re prices - gives you an idea if an offer you see is as good as it seems.

Good luck with your search (y)

as andyred says, go and have a look and see how they all feel when held..

The downside of the sony is you are more limited on lens choice than you would be with the canon or nikon.
The small nikons (D40/D60) aren't able to use all nikon lenses due to the camera itself not having an motor to run the auto focus.
Provided you don't go buying full frame canons (several thousand quid..) any canon lens will fit any EOS camera, so its very simple/straightforwards.

Get hold of the cameras and see what you think feels most comfortable, its important because (hopefully) you'll be spending alot of time holding it!

Hi mate,
I have the a200 with those two lenses and I think they are perfect for someone just starting out. There might not be as many lenses as Nikon or Canon but don't forget Minolta AF lenses can be used on the Sony.

Paul

spriggsy,

i too was new to photography about 12 months ago and was fortunate not to have your dilema, find a photography buddy who you can go out with and learn from, get the same make as him and it all starts to make sense. camera price buster is excellent and i use a canon 450D. look at the new 1000D it is a good entry level DSLR and is light and cheap (cheap ish, its aimed at new starters). try not to be too tight with your budget and remember the mony should be spent on the lens not nesacerily the camera body. look at the 350D or 400D as these have recently been superseeded and have dropped in price.

a little note, i wasn't expecting some of the must have expenses especially if you like landscapes;

tripod (must have)
spare cards and batteries
second lens
off camera flash
set of grad filters, filter holder and ring.
camera bag (all weather or waterproof a must, crumpler do some good ones)
really understanding partner who will stand and wait in the cold while you spend forever setting up a shot

hope this helps

sam

Nearly every photographer ends up with a Nikon or a Canon. I am a Nikon man so I recommend the Nikon D40. Very simple to use and a brilliant all-round camera. Join the force, not the dark side...

Hi guys,

thanks for the advice. It does sound as though it is a case of personal preference, so I'll go and have a look and see what I feel most comfortable with. The Sony sounds best cost wise but I'll have a look at some others aswell.

Nearly every photographer ends up with a Nikon or a Canon. I am a Nikon man so I recommend the Nikon D40. Very simple to use and a brilliant all-round camera. Join the force, not the dark side...

And I thought Nikon was the dark side!! :LOL:

Whatever you pick Spriggsy, enjoy!;)

Back