Compost Bin Lid Critters

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Took a couple of photos of the insects that are around the compost bin this afternoon.

First up is a midge of some sort - it is actually shown the way it was found - i.e. on the underside of the rim of the lid of the compost bin.

Second is what I assume is a fruit fly - about 2mm in length, and these are white flies which are plentiful around the compost bin, but they are particularly skittish and tend to be mobile almost all the time, making getting one up close quite difficult - I used 3 extension tubes to get this close and it is still a large crop.

800midge1.jpg

whitefly2.jpg

Paul.

Loving no#1 it is an excellent shot. no#2 is not quite so interesting but finding anything alive in this weather is a bonus ;)

Loving no#1 it is an excellent shot. no#2 is not quite so interesting but finding anything alive in this weather is a bonus ;)

Cheers m8. No.2 is unusual cos the little fly is pretty much white, but there is some irredesence in the wings which is noticeable when the levels are reduced, but that makes the rest of the image lose a lot of contrast and detail.

Paul.

Nice shots, #1 id a window gnat and #2 is a drainfly. Not much aroung at the moment is there :(

Nice shots, #1 id a window gnat and #2 is a drainfly. Not much aroung at the moment is there :(

Thanks for the ID Alby. I didn't know the wee one was a drainfly. I'll google it and read about it now :)

Paul.

Do you know the first picture is showing upside down? lol

Great pics, 1st love the detail and the second looks quite cute as far as bugs go lol

Do you know the first picture is showing upside down? lol

Great pics, 1st love the detail and the second looks quite cute as far as bugs go lol

Of course its upside down! (y)

It was cold out today too!

Paul.

no1 great (y)

Back