Computer components in short supply?

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
I've read a couple of posts where members have mentioned a short supply of components when wanting to build / upgrade a desktop PC.
Thought I'd upgrade the memory in my laptop but Crucial are out of stock of 16GB SODIM and the same seems to apply to their 8GB and 4GB as well.
I've found a seller on Ebay who has it in stock but knowing how much counterfieting goes on these days, it's the last place I would buy RAM or SD cards from as I know few people who have been caught out in the past.
Amazon have them buy the cheeky barstewards are asking nigh on thirty five quid more.
I'm guessing this is a worldwide problem although I've not read any articles about this.

1. Yes, the components market is terrible now in many instances., but not if you want the full new Apple

2. You don't have to get Crucial. There are plenty other brands like Corsair and they tend to be faster and sometimes cheaper. I'm not saying that will be in stock but worth checking.

3. A good fast NVME or failing that top of the line SATAIII SSD drive can work almost as a substitute for older RAM particularly if you only go over the limit occasionally. If you haven't upgraded this should be the first thing to do. There seems to be plenty of new ones going around.

1. Yes, the components market is terrible now in many instances., but not if you want the full new Apple

2. You don't have to get Crucial. There are plenty other brands like Corsair and they tend to be faster and sometimes cheaper. I'm not saying that will be in stock but worth checking.

3. A good fast NVME or failing that top of the line SATAIII SSD drive can work almost as a substitute for older RAM particularly if you only go over the limit occasionally. If you haven't upgraded this should be the first thing to do. There seems to be plenty of new ones going around.

I already have a 512GB NVME and a Samsung 2.5" SSD fitted.
I quite like how the Crucial tool checks the computer for the type of RAM used but I've been out of the game for quite a while and wondering if memory compatibility issuess isn't like it used to be?
I'll have look at Corsair, I'd forgotten about them so thanks for the reminder.
Corsair are quite a bit more expnsive, I've lived with 16GB for nigh on a year so I can wait for Crucial to restock.

Last edited:
Try buying a decent graphics card. I've been waiting for 4 months!

Try buying a decent graphics card. I've been waiting for 4 months!

I think it was a GPU shortage I read on here.
Does anyone know what the problem is, is it perhaps chip production?

I think it was a GPU shortage I read on here.
Does anyone know what the problem is, is it perhaps chip production?
GDDR6 is in short supply is the main reason. It's why Nvidia for instance are thinking about re-releasing some old GDDR5 based cards.

Also mining on the latest cards can earn a good profit, I'm making about £5-8 a day for instance on a 3070.

Last edited:
Back