Beginner Computer & Mobile Tethering (Help required please)

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

I require some help in regards to Tethering my mobile to my Laptop

I`m not tech minded at all so please bear with me - About 6 months ago I was made aware of "Tethering" and as far as I understand it in simple terms , its simply using my mobile data and thus I tether it to my Laptop so therefore I can use the monthly data allowance from my phone provider to log on to the internet "Via my Laptop"

Back then (6 months ago) I was using an iPhone 6,s and it was a simple matter of taking my Laptop with me no matter where I was in the country and hooking my phone up Via USB and within seconds it was recognised by the Laptop as I had ""Hotspot"" turned on so I was able to surf the web and do the normal things that were available to me when I used the Laptop at home..

""Here`s the problem"" Fast forward to today and I`m using an iPhone 11 (I`ve had the iPhone 11 for a month) and for some reason the Laptop will not Tether just like it did with the iPhone 6..

Do any of you more Tech savvy guys have any Ideas ? OR have any of you had the same problem with the iPhone 11

I`ve done a little research via google and on YouTube and ""apparently"" Apple are aware of this issue with the iPhone 11 , I would have thought with the newer phone and newer Technology that it would`ve been a breeze but apparently not ..

I`ve tried all the usual things like ,turn the phone off > turn it back on > Name the phone ""My iPhone"" > checked Hotspot (its ON) Personal Hotspot "Is included in my phone plan > the Laptop recognises the phone as its listed along with any other devices yet when I click on the "My iPhone" I get the message CANNOT CONNECT !

any help is appreciated

Coho-Blue

Have you tried connecting without using USB, just switch on 'Personal Hotspot' in Settings on the iPhone and connect wirelessly from the dropdown list of available SSID's?

Have you got the latest version of iTunes installed? That seems to be a pre-requisite for using this; possible you've missed an update?
Yes I just checked and the latest version of iTunes is installed

Have you tried connecting without using USB, just switch on 'Personal Hotspot' in Settings on the iPhone and connect wirelessly from the dropdown list of available SSID's?
Tried that too with no joy ..

Are you using an anti-virus utility?
No not using an anti-virus utility ..

I simply cannot understand how it was so easy to do this with my iPhone 6 a few months back then, fast forward to today with my iPhone 11 and it wont work :banghead: :banghead:

Are you familiar with the Command Prompt on your laptop?

Is the new phone defaulting to 5GHz WiFi and the laptop only has 2.4GHz?

I wouldn't think you needed a USB connection at all to do this but then Apple like to make things difficult.
The hotspot is simply a way to rebroadcast your 3G/4G as a small pool of wifi just like on home router.

I’ve not had a problem with this, seems specific to iPhone 11? When I need a small network with several devices I use a travel modem and plug my iPhone X into that to hook everything up to the internet.

I have an iPhone 11 Plus Max and often tether it to my MacBook or work Win10 laptop. I use the hotspot: go to settings > personal hotspot > allow others to join = on. On the laptop (whichever sort) look for the wifi connection matching the name of your phone and connect to it, entering the password in the hotspot page on the phone.

Works every time for me. If yours doesn't, it might be worth a trip to an apple store.

As above forget USB use the HotSpot function and turn your phone into a wireless router.

I have an iPhone 11 Plus Max and often tether it to my MacBook or work Win10 laptop. I use the hotspot: go to settings > personal hotspot > allow others to join = on. On the laptop (whichever sort) look for the wifi connection matching the name of your phone and connect to it, entering the password in the hotspot page on the phone.

Works every time for me. If yours doesn't, it might be worth a trip to an apple store.

As above forget USB use the HotSpot function and turn your phone into a wireless router.

Covered in post 4 :(

Correct @gramps but I thought I would include detailed steps just in case.

Back