Computer PSU query

It doesn't get near boot-up before it restarts.

Sorry, I remember you saying that now.

In that case I would focus on hardware, the RAM first and any other components and a thorough inspection of the motherboard as others have suggested re. capacitors etc. Then the CPU, new compound and re-seat it.

After that, well for me I'd be weighing up how much valuable time I'd be willing to spent continuing the investigation vs. a new build.

Could it be possible for the PSU to be faulty in that it's fine to run on its own but under load (i.e connecting to the motherboard and CPU) it may fail?

I've decided to give up on it for now - I'll order a new barebones from Novatech and add in the bits I have from this one (2x16gb RAM, 2X2 TB disks, graphics card, etc).

If I get a spare few days I might try to revitalize this but I'm not especially motivated at the moment.

I've tried it with an alternative cable to no effect.

Where did you get an alternate cable for that connection?

Usually the wires are permanently connected to the PSU, never seen an alternative connection from PSU to mobo.

Where did you get an alternate cable for that connection?

Usually the wires are permanently connected to the PSU, never seen an alternative connection from PSU to mobo.

Not the same PSU but mine as I recall is completely modular i.e. all cables are plugin at the PSU end.......though I do not have such a spare mainboard cable!

Edit there is a video on the Novatech site and it shows the mainboard cable as being hardwired.

Last edited:
Fully and partially modular PSU cabling systems have been around for a while now. I haven't checked out the OP's model, but it's possible on some PSUs to replace that cable.

Yes, as above: it's a semi-modular PSU - I have lots of spare bits and pieces.

Although your paper-clip test shows that the PSU runs, it doesn't tell you anything about the voltages being produced by it so it still could be the guilty item.

What about taking the PSU to a local tech shop and letting them test it on another system? You'll know for sure then for what surely won't be more than say £20? Could save you a lot of hassle and money.

Well, the OP said he'd decided to get a new bare bones system, so he'll have the option of testing the old system with the new PSU before he fits it all together. If it's another modular unit, it won't be a big job.

Yes, that's the plan... The machine is 3 years old so I got enough from it and am happy to replace it with a new one.
Well, the OP said he'd decided to get a new bare bones system, so he'll have the option of testing the old system with the new PSU before he fits it all together. If it's another modular unit, it won't be a big job.

I once fixed a (not the same) problem by getting an identical motherboard off evilbay, swapping everything across, worked great and didn't need any reinstall of anything.
£40 if memory serves.
Just saying.

I know it's a bit late for the op but in case anyone else has a similar issue there is a very simple test that could be done to rule out the motherboard. Remove everything bar the cpu and power from the motherboard, including the ram, if there are no error beeps for the missing ram it's most likely the motherboard at fault especially if the psu has been proved good.
If the psu does not get a power good signal back from the motherboard it wouldn't even power the fans.

No need to try cleaning heatsink or checking cpu fans etc, no post and no error beeps usually points to motherboard.

Just to clarify, HP, Lenovo, Dell, IBM, Sun. Dec & Alpha etc qualified.

Back