Condensation inside a lens ?

Name
Tara
Edit My Images
No
OK, I'm trying not to panic, but is it normal to get condensation inside a Canon 70-200 F4 IS?
I got the camera out to take some pics of a couple of orchids and left it in the veranda to warm up, I normally do this and leave it alone, but today for some reason I had a look at it and to my horror realised that the fug was not just on the two ends but also inside the lens, at the moment the fug inside is so bad the poor thing can't focus on owt :eek:, should this happen? my Sigma macro fugged up on either end, but nothing appeared inside. I thought the canon was supposed to be weather sealed, no?
The lens is now in the lounge (warm and dry with the wood burner roaring) but should I be getting in touch with Canon about this? :help:

Tara

Not sure if it's supposed to be weather proof but this happened to me on my 17-85 and I left it for a couple of hours in a warm room, which cleared it up.

Tara,

It is weather-sealed but, in common with most others, it's not airtight. As the temperature changes then air is going to be ingested or expelled and this will contain humidty that can condense. Try to acclimatise your lenses in lower humidity environments wherever possible.

Throw another log on the fire and sit back and wait.

Have a happy New Year....

Bob

Peter, Bob, Thanks guys, Panic over, that will serve me right for peeking!!! the lens has dried out and is completely clear, no splodges, nothing. phew!!!
I'm going move the camera stuff into the lounge for the time being as our house tends to be a bit damp anyway (rented, old and badly built), and with the god awful weather over the last two months it's damper than normal. Still we start building our own place in a couple of months (unless the planning office chucks a spanner in the works) and then these problems should be just a memory :woot::woot::woot:

Tara

Back