Confused!

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Having viewed some of the amazing shots from Duxford recently, I was a little confused this morning when I saw image no. 37 of 40 in the D80 sample images from dpreview.com.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond80_samples/

Don't appear to be able to link directly to the image, sorry. But use the scroll bar at the top of the page to go to the right hand end and select the 4th image from the right.

Only diference I can see is the names on this engine cowl are on a red background. I have to assume there's a flying and static version.

I shouldn't be..... the guys at Duxford very often do a repaint job on a lot of aircraft. Mainly to match some sort of historic occasion that it took part in a particular era. I've not got time to research this, but I bet if you google Big Beautiful Doll you'll get some info on what deeds/raids this 'bird' took part in.....

I remember seeing "Sally B" the B-17 Flying Fortress being painted as the "Memphis Belle" one side and "Sally B" t'other! :LOL: Made my photo set look really odd!

Thinking about the search string..... :thinking: .... you'll probably get some stuff you never bargained for ;) you've been warned!

Cheers Barry, that would expalin it. I'll google your suggestions when I get home. (probably safer)

I remember seeing "Sally B" the B-17 Flying Fortress being painted as the "Memphis Belle" one side and "Sally B" t'other! :LOL: Made my photo set look really odd!

I did a double take at Duxford a few weeks ago when I saw this...

Right side:

Duxford-July-07040.jpg

Left side:

Duxford-July-07036.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that Sally B is her original name but she was repainted as Memphis Belle for the film of the same name.

I think I'm right in saying that Sally B is her original name but she was repainted as Memphis Belle for the film of the same name.

Correct.
At the time they made the film, i think there were only 2-3 B17's flying so they all had one side painted with one name and the other side with another, to make it look like there were more.
If you watch the film you will only see Memphis Belle from the right side view.
On a similar theme, anyone who went to Dux this year would have seen a line of Dakotas on the other side of the runway, one of them is painted completely different on each side.
Dean:)

Ooops! sorry, back to the original question. The plane in the photo (Mustang)is a fibreglass replica.
Dean:)

Back