Confused...

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, wonder if anyone can give me some advice on lenses (or point me to a website which will explain). Have been looking at different lenses and being new to the world of photography, am a little confused between all the different lens codes eg: what is the difference between a 'G' lens, a 'D' lens, an 'ED' and an 'EX'. I have a Nikon D70.

It's a whole world of abbreviations out there. Below is a copy from a Nikon web page.....

ED - The lens uses Extra-low Dispersion glass for superior image quality, especially at wide apertures.

IF - Internal Focus, focus is accomplished without the lens barrel rotating or changing length, an advantage when using a position-sensitive filter such as a polarizer.

AF-S - Focusing is driven by a "Silent Wave" motor in the lens instead of the focus drive motor in the camera. AF-S lenses focus faster than standard AF-Nikkors and are almost completely silent. AF-S lenses with a "II" designation weigh less and are generally smaller than their equivalent predecessors.

D - The lens provides Distance information to the camera electronically for more accurate light metering.

G - The lens has no aperture control ring and is designed to be used with cameras that allow setting the aperture from the camera body. G lenses also provide Distance information to the camera.

DC - Defocus Control, the optical characteristics of the lens can be altered to change the appearance of the out-of-focus elements in the background or foreground.

VR - Vibration Reduction, lenses with this feature can be hand-held at lower shutter speeds than non-VR lenses because they have a system that detects and counteracts vibration associated with hand-holding a camera and lens. (VR operation is available only with specific Nikon cameras.)

DX - The lens is specifically designed for use on Nikon digital SLR cameras. It produces a smaller image circle for more efficient coverage of the imaging sensor in these cameras, which is smaller than the 35mm film frame.

Hope this helps...

Baz.

to add to chuckles excelent post

the EX is a sigma code, it represents their ' professional ' range of lenses, similar to the Nikon DX code

The DG is Sigma's new coated glass for the latest digital SLR camera's, it helps with sensors ' shiny ' surface ??

a G lens is a good lens, but at the bottom of the range in quality and features,

the ED glass is better and usually brighter

you usually find these codes mutate as lenses and technology develops, the next code representing a newer/better ( ? ) lens than the last version,

however , all the different levels of lenses are still available from new,mostly

hope this helps a little

MyPix ( also has a D70 )

MyPix said:
to add to chuckles excelent post

a G lens is a good lens, but at the bottom of the range in quality and features,

MyPix ( also has a D70 )

Thanks for adding to the list, wondering where the EX fitted in (thought we'd gone all Canonny) .... :)

Unfortunately, it's quite a popular misconception that 'G' lenses are lesser in features and quality. The 70-200mm VR G is around £1199 so is not cheap! It's also one of the finest zoom lenses I've ever used! The new 300mm f2.8 VR is a 'G' lens and retails at £3279!There are some top of the range 'G' lenses and, as MyPix has stated, some lesser ones....

......at the end of the day all you say with certainty about the 'G' men is that they don't have an aperture control ring!:dizzy:

Now I feel a need to study more..... no, no - I shall just get out more! ;)

......at the end of the day all you say with certainty about the 'G' men is that they don't have an aperture control ring!

thats cuz the camera is so good it is controled from there, lol:innocent:

i did however add to the confusion by saying the 'G' lenses were at the bottom end in quality, this, as pointed out isnt the whole truth, the 'G' lens was made for a certain generation of Nikon camera, which has now been updated, and actually provide similar info a the 'D' lens does to the camera,

to be honest, you wont go wrong with most modern glass, just try and buy the fastest best spec you can afford, as it will last longer / be more usable in the end,

as in another thread tho,, the nikon 70-300 at £60 odd quid is a total bargain, as long as you are aware of what ur buying

MyPix

Back