Considering an upgrade or two..

Edit My Images
No
I'm getting a little disgrunted with my D70 of late, so I'm considering putting a little more effort into my other camera, an F75. I bought this for my night class , thinking it was a film only affair, but it turned out to be more flexible.

When I got the F75 a while ago, it came in a twin lens kit, with a 28-100mm and 70-300mm..both are most definately budget, but seem to work well.

I'm considering buying the Nikon Battery Grip for the F75, as one of my main quarms about it is that it's so light when compared to the D70, makes it harder for me to handle. I'm also considering a lens upgrade, can anyone offer any recommendation on a good quality Sigma that might sit somewhere between my current lenses?

does it have to be sigma? why not consider the tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di its very highly regarded and it works on film fine i think, as do the sigma DG range, they'd fit both cameras nicely, its the nikon DX and sigma DC that only work on digital. maybe the sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG would suit if you want sigma.

tamron
sigma

hope those suggestions help, i dont really know if thats the range you're after but they will both do you proud.

Your covered from 28-300mm allready, what sort of range do you use most or would like to have better quality in?. And how much are you wanting to spend?

Davey, why are you feeling disgruntled with your D70?:ponders:

noah said:
does it have to be sigma? why not consider the tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di its very highly regarded and it works on film fine i think, as do the sigma DG range, they'd fit both cameras nicely, its the nikon DX and sigma DC that only work on digital. maybe the sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG would suit if you want sigma.

tamron
sigma

hope those suggestions help, i dont really know if thats the range you're after but they will both do you proud.

..well no I guess it doesn't have to be Sigma. I'm just a little curious as to whether the stock lens is good enough. I've only shot a role of film on it so far, so am just testing the water really!

Sonsey said:
Your covered from 28-300mm allready, what sort of range do you use most or would like to have better quality in?. And how much are you wanting to spend?

..well to be honest I do mainly landscapes, but in my night class we are touching on all areas. I used my D70 for the class on portraits and the 18-70mm didn't give me pleasing results, the tutor recommended 75mm or greater for the task... and indeed some colleagues with much longer lenses got much better results.

I'm just curious at this point. I might just end up blowing some cash on the new 10-20mm Sigma for my D70!

CT said:
Davey, why are you feeling disgruntled with your D70?:ponders:

..well I've been happy with it for landscapes, but it is rather annoying as it tends to produce dark images.. (or maybe my monitor isnt calibrated properly :icon_eek: ).

I used it with the stock 18-70 lens on a portrait class on monday night and the results were awful. I've got the SB-800 speedlight, and on manual mode it was giving me longer shutter speeds when set to F5.6 so as soon as the model breathed the imaged blurred.. plus apparently I have to send the battery back to Nikon as theres a recall on...

..I'm think I'm in a photographic rut, I do apologise for the rant! :eyesup:

I have an issued Sigma 14mm and on the first job I've actually used it in anger, it fell at the first hurdle. Loads of flare even though there wern't any highlights visible.

It's going back.

DavidUK said:
..well I've been happy with it for landscapes, but it is rather annoying as it tends to produce dark images.. (or maybe my monitor isnt calibrated properly :icon_eek: ).

I used it with the stock 18-70 lens on a portrait class on monday night and the results were awful. I've got the SB-800 speedlight, and on manual mode it was giving me longer shutter speeds when set to F5.6 so as soon as the model breathed the imaged blurred.. plus apparently I have to send the battery back to Nikon as theres a recall on...

..I'm think I'm in a photographic rut, I do apologise for the rant! :eyesup:

Hi, I have a D70 with no probs, so suggest :-

- Check you monitor first as I found I was actually processing my shots too dark in PS, as I had brighness etc too high on monitor.
- Check the histogram on your shots...this should show if shots are ok.
- Post some example shots of problems on here for people to comment on (unprocessed)
- Re last point, take some shots on Auto ....... if these appear OK to you & us , then it's just a matter of sussing what you are doing in manual mode.

FYI, I rarely shoot in manual mode, as with all the pgm modes plus Aperture Priority etc & finally shooting in RAW means I rarely get a shot that can't be saved exposure wise (especially with RAW )

I think this camera is amazing, so don't despair......with others on this forum we'll crack it !!!

I was just reading something and this thread came to mind... dark images and D70

Bear in mind I know nothing about Nikons....

from a newsgroup posting>>>>

In the meantime, I have discovered how to make this camera a great
point and shoot camera. Have a look at the following website and you
will see the dramatic results that you are looking for. Then download
the trial version of Nikon Capture to install a custom curve into your
camera. The process is fast and painless. I can now honestly respect
this camera when a few days ago, I was starting to think that I had got
a lemon. The D70 can be custom programmed to give you the images that
you would like to see come right out of the camera without any post
processing.

http://www.dahalan.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2&PHP

http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/custom_tone_curves_3.html

<<<<
then a follow up post said about doing it without buying nikon software>>>>

If you don't like the price of Nikon's Capture software, there is an
alternative.

http://www.oxfordeye.co.uk/Toneup.aspx

PS: You can always do what I do with any 30 day Trial software.
>> I set the date back on my computer. <<

>>>>>>

Hope it is some help and apologies if I'm way off course :getmecoat

DJW said:
Hi, I have a D70 with no probs, so suggest :-

- Check you monitor first as I found I was actually processing my shots too dark in PS, as I had brighness etc too high on monitor.
- Check the histogram on your shots...this should show if shots are ok.
- Post some example shots of problems on here for people to comment on (unprocessed)
- Re last point, take some shots on Auto ....... if these appear OK to you & us , then it's just a matter of sussing what you are doing in manual mode.

FYI, I rarely shoot in manual mode, as with all the pgm modes plus Aperture Priority etc & finally shooting in RAW means I rarely get a shot that can't be saved exposure wise (especially with RAW )

I think this camera is amazing, so don't despair......with others on this forum we'll crack it !!!

..thanks for the information, I was beginning to feel quite alone as everyone seems to have Canon cameras! I've had numerous dilemnas with my D70 and it's left me in despair before now! (trying to take a slow shutter shot of a waterfall to convey motion left me wanting to burry the thing!)..

I usually shoot in Aperture mode, but as I've been doing a night class the concentration seems to be on doing it the hard way in manual mode, but I've found that the exposure meter in the viewfinder often can't be trusted 100%!

Back