Consumer rights regarding Laptop ??

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Today I brought a laptop from Curry's which will not boot from USB ( there is no option in the BIOS ) I told them at the time I will be installing Linux . I have tried the same USB media on this device and it works fine. This means the Laptop is no use to me. What are my options ? I suspect it is a way of locking in the Microsoft data farm enterprise !

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how the conversation went with the sales person. Just telling them you will be installing Linux probably isn’t enough as the sales person will more than likely have no idea about the installation of Linux, but if you specifically asked if it boots from USB and they said it did then it’s not fit for purpose and was mis-sold.

I’d just go in and have a polite conversation with the sales manager on duty and see if they’ll exchange it for you. If you go in guns blazing you’re likely to hit a brick wall.

It does seem strange the option isn’t there to boot from USB though. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a BIOS screen on a PC but are you sure there’s not something else that needs to be enabled first.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Today I brought a laptop from Curry's which will not boot from USB ( there is no option in the BIOS ) I told them at the time I will be installing Linux . I have tried the same USB media on this device and it works fine. This means the Laptop is no use to me. What are my options ?

I guess it depends on how the conversation went with the sales person. Just telling them you will be installing Linux probably isn’t enough as the sales person will more than likely have no idea about the installation of Linux, but if you specifically asked if it boots from USB and they said it did then it’s not fit for purpose and was mis-sold.

I’d just go in and have a polite conversation with the sales manager on duty and see if they’ll exchange it for you. If you go in guns blazing you’re likely to hit a brick wall.

It does seem strange the option isn’t there to boot from USB though. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a BIOS screen on a PC but are you sure there’s not something else that needs to be enabled first.
And surely more so, as one the first things on a desktop Windows install is to create a Windows recovery/rescue bootable usb drive.

So what is so odd about this laptop that it can't be booted (via a BIOS selection, as appropriate?) from a USB drive ???

@BADGER.BRAD can you tell us the make & model number, to see what can found out about it?

Last edited:
It seems this is a common problem with ASUS VIVOBOOKS after doing multiple search on the problem, When I go to boot options from the BIOS the only option is Windows on the hard drive so you cannot alter the boot order to Boot from USB first. There is an option to add a device but you need to know the address of the device which I don't have the knowledge to find. I have also tried some of the methods listen online to no avail. Here are a few photos of the BIOS and the serial number.

Sorry for the poor quality but my poor old phone struggles.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
You could take the USB stick with you if you go back to the shop, to see if they have a workaround that will get you running. This is where buying online helps, because distance selling regs require that you can return stuff within a limited period.

Hopefully someone there can help & get you going.

I found this: is it helpful?

Enter boot menu by using hotkey

1. While the computer isn’t powered on yet, press and hold the [Esc] key
    d76b2f65-108d-4d14-b35c-a96c18ba0497.png
    of the keyboard, and then press the [Power button] (Do not release [Esc] key until the BIOS configuration display.).
  2. Select USB flash drive/CD-ROM that you want to use, then press Enter key to boot the system from USB flash drive/CD-ROM.
    Note: If your PC cannot enter the boot menu by using hotkey Esc, please try Enter boot menu through BIOS configuration.

Looks like it takes you to a boot menu. I also do the F12 key trick, repeatedly hitting F12 immediately after starting before POST to get a boot menu up, then selecting the USB drive.

Go to the manufacturers website of the laptop and look at info regarding your laptop. It should be able to boot from USB.

A setting in the bios needs changing.

you absolutely should be able to boot from USB I rebuild all kinds of devices and some do have very odd methods of doing it, one of the ones is from windows itself.

How to boot into UEFI or BIOS from Windows 11 or Windows 10
Click Start and then select Settings.
Click Update & Security.
On the left side, click Recovery.
Under Advanced start-up, click Restart Now.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Select UEFI Firmware Settings.

Thank you everyone I will try out the fix in the week. I have been pretty busy this weekend helping a friend out and a lot of dog walking.

I thought you can return an item within 14 days of purchase, unless it's a custom order / personalised order etc.

Don't think you need a reason as long as it's within the 14 days, at least that's my understanding of such things.

I thought you can return an item within 14 days of purchase, unless it's a custom order / personalised order etc.

Don't think you need a reason as long as it's within the 14 days, at least that's my understanding of such things.
That doesn't sound like UK Law.

I think the key issue here, as already noted, is whether the question to the salesperson and their answer can be considered to be part of the contract when you purchased the computer.

Last edited:
I needed a new laptop about 18 months ago.

I went to Currys but they didn't have the model I wanted so bought one slightly cheaper. No sales person involved apart from them fetching the laptop from the stores.

Got home, started using it and decided I didn't like it, took it back next day and they let me exchange for a slightly more expensive one, obviously I had to pay the difference;)

I haven't read all the whole thread so your issue might be sorted but if you're still unhappy, I'd say take it back and see if they'll exchange for one more suited (y)

I don't have Windows Paul ( haven't used it for 20 odd years) but thanks for the effort.
Unless I have lost the plot (quite possibly:LOL:) in post #4 you explain that in the BIOS screen you see mention of Windows!

So, just what is it on your laptop that you need to resolve bearing in mind that you clearly have a Windows laptop :thinking:

Page 76 of the manual says this of a bios setting/selection

"Advanced startup - Using this option allows you to perform
other advanced recovery options on your Notebook PC such as:
- Using a USB drive, network connection or Windows recovery
DVD to startup your Notebook PC."

Manual download here

Unless I have lost the plot (quite possibly:LOL:) in post #4 you explain that in the BIOS screen you see mention of Windows!

So, just what is it on your laptop that you need to resolve bearing in mind that you clearly have a Windows laptop :thinking:
He is trying to remove windows to use Linux, but windows makes this difficult on ALL computers sold with Windows pre-installed (supposedly to protect users from themselves certain viruses).

He is trying to remove windows to use Linux, but windows makes this difficult on ALL computers sold with Windows pre-installed (supposedly to protect users from themselves certain viruses).
Ah! so in post #11 when he says he doesn't have Windows, has he already succeeded in wiping the Windows installation from the Asus but is still(?) struggling to, via the BIOS, to boot from a USB Linux stick???

If he has already wiped it, I wonder (on the surmise he declares what he did), how well any replacement/refund discussion will go!

If he has wiped Windows I am unsure how come in the BIOS (post #4) it is showing as the available Boot?

I think I need to get some popcorn and await the updates.

Back again, The laptop is preinstalled with Windows but this will only work when you have given them all your details and signed up with an account, As I have no intention of using Windows ( Data farm network)I have no intention of giving them any of my private data which can be linked back to the Devices fingerprint.The problem lies with the Bios which is designed to make it difficult to use anything but Windows ( much like Google Chrome books) . This is the first time I have seen one that will not let you boot from sources of you choice as standard. I tried booting this device from the USB drive which I have and although it does boot there seems to be a problem with corrupted data so it will not load past a certain point as I don't know whether the drive is kaput of just corrupted I've ordered a couple more and will load Linux on and see if it will boot using the work around above. I have many flavors of Linux on DVD/CD but this Laptop has no drive hence the need to boot from USB.

I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:
If he has already wiped it, I wonder (on the surmise he declares what he did), how well any replacement/refund discussion will go!
This was in the past admittedly but my son had a laptop from Curry's which became faulty, He had installed Linux ( I cannot remember which flavor) The guy we gave it to said this was no problem as the warranty was on the Hardware and I could install any software I wished. He did say they might have to install Windows in order to fix it but as it worked out this was not required.

FWIW I still have a usb floppy drive - last year I used it to recover some of my mother's poetry after she died. Legacy kit isn't to be sniffed at.

long shot is your USB boot drive configured properly.
check out RUFUS is the boot usb EUFI or is MBR

I've now got it all working using Xubuntu and boy is it fast in comparison to the previous PC( 12 + years old), I disabled secure boot but it still would not boot telling me some sort of security had been breached ( cannot remember exactly what it said) I then deleted the Windows boot loader ( not sure if this is the right term) although
this was listed as the second boot option and hey presto !

Thanks very much for all your help, I'm just hoping now that I get 12 years or more out of this one !

Last edited:
I've now got it all working using Xubuntu and boy is it fast in comparison to the previous PC( 12 + years old), I disabled secure boot but it still would not boot telling me some sort of security had been breached ( cannot remember exactly what it said) I then cancelled the Windows boot loader ( not sure if this is the right term) although
this was listed as the second boot option and hey presto !

Thanks very much for all your help, I'm just hoping now that I get 12 years or more out of this one !

to clear that message there will have been an option in the BIOS under secure boot to "clear keys" that is where Windows will have the OS locked in the BIOS.

Back