Contact cleaning.

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been having a couple of issues lately where the camera and lens don't appear to be communicating properly. With Sigma lenses it's been telling me that there is no lens attached and with the Sony 70-200 lens it kept switching to Manual Focus. In all cases it could only be resolved by detaching and reattaching the lens.

I'm thinking that the contacts in the camera may need cleaning (although the camera is only a month old and I've never had to clean them in my 18 month old one) and I was wondering what people use to do so.

i have a small plastic bottle of lens cleaning fluid (some kind of alcohol) and cotton buds in my bag.
it was part of a jessops camera care kit.

I'm sure I read on here a while back that using a rubber was effective. Link here.
I haven'y had to try it thought so can't give a yay or nay to the technique!!

Rob

I'm sure I read on here a while back that using a rubber was effective. Link here.
I haven'y had to try it thought so can't give a yay or nay to the technique!!

Rob

same here, haven't had to do it yet, but read more then once in several places that a nice clean eraser is a good way to clean camera electrical contacts.

Ok, I may have to visit a stationers though. Haven't used one in a very long time.

Marc, I've cleaned mine before with a (hear me out) cocktail stick. :|

The trick is to wear the point down a little first to make it smoother, you can do this on any hard or smooth surface.

I then squirt a little isopropylene alcohol on the stick and gently buff up the contacts.

It doesn't leave any unwanted trace behind and the contacts are spanking afterward.

To finish, a little wipe with an old and used lens cloth. Job done.

dont scrimp on the cotton buds as they come apart and are hard to get out of the gaps

Back