Contax G lens compatability.

fixedimage

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I'm considering a Contax G system for my film needs but would be wanting to use the lenses on my Nex via an adapter. Iv seen Contax to Nex adapters on eBay but having done some googling I'm under the impression that Contax lenses have no focus ring as the mf control is on the body. Anyone know if I'd be able to use the lenses from a g system elsewhere?

fixedimage said:
I'm considering a Contax G system for my film needs but would be wanting to use the lenses on my Nex via an adapter. Iv seen Contax to Nex adapters on eBay but having done some googling I'm under the impression that Contax lenses have no focus ring as the mf control is on the body. Anyone know if I'd be able to use the lenses from a g system elsewhere?

The adaptors are expensive because they have a focus ring built in to overcome the lack on the lens itself. A word of warning on the G2, the pictures are amazing because the lenses are so good and the metering is of high quality. However, it is a very automated camera, with AF and a number of exposure modes. I ended up selling mine as I just didn't feel very engaged by it and ended up with a Leica M6. Still, the piccies from those zeiss lenses are truely superb!

Yeah I know, to be honest it suits my needs perfectly other than cross compatability of lenses.

I have a raft of Konica slrs just now but tend to ignore them in favour of a few Ricoph compacts I have, I was thinking the Contax G system would be a kind of mid ground.

fixedimage said:
Yeah I know, to be honest it suits my needs perfectly other than cross compatability of lenses.

I have a raft of Konica slrs just now but tend to ignore them in favour of a few Ricoph compacts I have, I was thinking the Contax G system would be a kind of mid ground.

If that is what you want then it will serve you wonderfully!

Hmm, I think the lens thing is going to be an issue.

Maybe I can just figure the expense of the adapter into my calculations.

Or maybe I can just man up and go fully manual focus.

I too am considering a Contax G system but more out of "what next" than anything else. It isn't a cheap system unless you compare it to Leica. I manual focus all the time and only very occasionally go AF on either film or digital products.

I can see why you might want to get double use out of those Contax lenses.

Back