Contax G2 : Does anyone have one? Quick question : Updated with video

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

So I picked up a Contax G2 from a retailer with a returns policy. Everything looks in very good condition however a couple of small things concern me, so I'd like to know if it's normal nor not!

Focus : This seems quite loud and isn't a smooth sound, it's more of a 'CRRRRRRR KRRRRRRR' noise. This noise changes slightly depending on if I'm on portrait or landscape. I've seen a few videos online and mine sounds slightly different to some, but very similar to others, however that could just be the sound recording on youtube :). I'm less worried about this tbh (although it is much louder than I expected).

The body : When I move the body from landscape to portrait It feels & sounds like something heavy in the camera is moving a fraction of a mm, like there is a very very small amount of play inside the body. It's very subtle but it is there. Is this just a feature of the G2 body or are other peoples' 'tight'? I've never had a body that wasn't completely tight before!

Thanks!

I have a 2xg1 and have used a g2 (went back to the g1s) and there was never a feeling of anything within the body moving.

Focus wise - without a recording its hard to know whether what you're hearing is off normal or not but dependent on lens and how much focusing is being done they can make a decent noise from time to time. However, the action should be smooth and in actual truth the sound level shouldn't be obtrusive. No more than say your old generation dslr's say nikon d40x.d90 type level of loudness. the 35mm f2 should be very quiet as should the 28 and 45.

Funnily enough I was thinking about these cameras today. I've seen them described as rangefinders, but also as auto-focus. Are they at all usable as rangefinders in the Leica sense, or is this really rangefinder-style, cf the X100 etc?

(To your point, I've also read that the auto-focus is mechanical, screw driven, which may explain the sound...)

JoJo, this sounds like a problem to me. I have a G1, the focus is a little noisy compared to my Nikon AF kit, but not outrageous. Also there is no difference in sound or feel between portrait or landscape shooting. It sounds to me that something is loose inside.

Funnily enough I was thinking about these cameras today. I've seen them described as rangefinders, but also as auto-focus. Are they at all usable as rangefinders in the Leica sense, or is this really rangefinder-style, cf the X100 etc?

(To your point, I've also read that the auto-focus is mechanical, screw driven, which may explain the sound...)
Chris, the Contax G1 and G2 are really AF cameras, they look like rangefinders and there is a distance dippy in the viewfinder but they are not rangefinders in the Leica / Voigtlander sense.

I used to have a G2-the focus is noisy but not industrial sounding. Personally, it was too "auto" for me and the AF hit and miss but the lenses are truly astounding.

Hi guys, sorry for the slow reply, a lot on!

So I've isolated where the slight bit of play is, its not actually in the body! I took off the 45mm, if I gently shake it there is a very small amount of movement inside... is this the same for your 45s? I'll try and post a sound recording later :).

I'm hoping nothing is wrong as it's a lovely camera, will be home in 2 days so will post some test shots!

I have a 2xg1 and have used a g2 (went back to the g1s) and there was never a feeling of anything within the body moving.

Focus wise - without a recording its hard to know whether what you're hearing is off normal or not but dependent on lens and how much focusing is being done they can make a decent noise from time to time. However, the action should be smooth and in actual truth the sound level shouldn't be obtrusive. No more than say your old generation dslr's say nikon d40x.d90 type level of loudness. the 35mm f2 should be very quiet as should the 28 and 45.

JoJo, this sounds like a problem to me. I have a G1, the focus is a little noisy compared to my Nikon AF kit, but not outrageous. Also there is no difference in sound or feel between portrait or landscape shooting. It sounds to me that something is loose inside.

Chris, the Contax G1 and G2 are really AF cameras, they look like rangefinders and there is a distance dippy in the viewfinder but they are not rangefinders in the Leica / Voigtlander sense.

I used to have a G2-the focus is noisy but not industrial sounding. Personally, it was too "auto" for me and the AF hit and miss but the lenses are truly astounding.

Hi,

So I've made a quick recording that hopefully shows what I'm talking about. The slight play seems to be the front element (it really is just a fraction of a mm), my best guess is either that this is totally normal, or that the focus screw is worn. Would love to know if yours are the same! I paid quite a lot for an Excellent++ G2 however wary to keep it if other peoples are 'tight' and this ones on its last legs :).

Video :
Contax G2 odd noise:

EDIT : In case you're wondering that tag on my wrist is a room key for where we are staying, I'm not on day release from prison, honest guv :).

Joe

Last edited:
I could hear the lens noise when you tilted it, but the lens was moving too much to see the play in the front element. I certainly wouldn't be happy with a lens that made that much noise when focussing!

I'm not sure about the focussing sound because I haven't shot with a G2 although screw drive lenses are never the quietest. However, with the front element, have you checked that the black retaining ring around the front (with the writing on it) is screwed down properly as the sound was more like a plastic rattle than glass. If you've got any bluetac to hand, put two small pieces opposite each other on the retaining ring and use your thumbs to press/turn the ring until it's tight.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses here, now I know where the noise is coming from I can google the right thing! It looks like this is normal so I'm happy, not had the negatives developed yet however its a lovely camera to use. It has everything in the right place and seems well built. Its very different to shooting with a Leica, but in a good way. I'm seeing this as a complementary camera to Leicas, not a replacement.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1199205/0

I could hear the lens noise when you tilted it, but the lens was moving too much to see the play in the front element. I certainly wouldn't be happy with a lens that made that much noise when focussing!

The video makes it sound louder than it is, in real world use I'm not noticing it too much, it was more the play in the lens I was worried about... :).

Back