Contax T2 Digital Alernatives

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
I've had my Contax T2 for a long time and love it but I'm looking for a digital alternative and frankly they're hard to find.
Few compacts have a lens this good in such a small portable format.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for Digital compacts with fixed lens if not 35mm then close to it.
Thanks

I've had my Contax T2 for a long time and love it but I'm looking for a digital alternative and frankly they're hard to find.
Few compacts have a lens this good in such a small portable format.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for Digital compacts with fixed lens if not 35mm then close to it.
Thanks

I am not too up on digital variants, although if I was after something really small with an excellent lens and great image quality, it would probably be the Fuji X100 series although it's more rangefinder style than compact. I also hear good things about the Ricoh GR which is more of a true compact...oh and the Sony RX1 is supposedly excellent.

In other news, you're the first person I know of on here with the Contax T2. I have been looking at them the last couple of weeks on eBay to replace my 35Ti. Do you have any samples, recommendations, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Budget?

Also probably best in Talk Equipment...

My suggestion would be an RX-1 (35mm), Leica Q (28mm) or Fuji X100 (35mm equiv.) depending on how much cash you have, how brandy you like to be, and how much you believe "full frame" is important.

Never handled the Contax, RX-1 or Leica but the X100 is closer in size/weight to an M6 with a small 35 on it. Many use the term compact to describe it, but after shooting with an Olympus 35RC, I wouldn't.

Edit to add I think @dancook has used the Q (or maybe the Q2) and might be able to chime in there.

I had the same thoughts, I have a T2 as well and was looking for a digital alternative. I came to the conclusion that a true replacement isn't fully available and it always felt like there was a compromise. Gaz has pretty much outlined the cameras that I found as alternatives above.

X100- No doubt excellent, nice camera with an optical viewfinder so can shoot in a similar manner to the T2. 23mm lens so similar field of view to the 38 on the T2 with f2 too for good measure. But for me, when I carry the T2 I want to just throw it in a pocket, so the X100 was out for that reason.

Sony RX1- Small, pocketable, viewfinder. All bonuses in my book, the lens is a zoom (different variations have different focal lengths) which wasn't a deal breaker for me and neither was the smaller sensor. I just haven't bitten the bullet yet as I'm undecided whether this is the best camera for me because of the next one

Ricoh GR- Small, pocketable, APS-C sensor, but no viewfinder, slightly wider lens too which again isn't a deal breaker. The original GR1 seems to get mentioned in similar conversations to the T2 as a "similar" kind of camera, and then the GR2/3 get mentioned as "similar" to the GR1 so in a way of rationalising it the T2 should be like the GR2/3, whether that's actually the case or not I don't know.

The truth is I couldn't find one camera that did absolutely everything I wanted, so I've been using the T2 still :LOL:

Last edited:
I had the same thoughts, I have a T2 as well and was looking for a digital alternative. I came to the conclusion that a true replacement isn't fully available and it always felt like there was a compromise. Gaz has pretty much outlined the cameras that I found as alternatives above.

X100- No doubt excellent, nice camera with an optical viewfinder so can shoot in a similar manner to the T2. 23mm lens so similar field of view to the 38 on the T2 with f2 too for good measure. But for me, when I carry the T2 I want to just throw it in a pocket, so the X100 was out for that reason.

Sony RX1- Small, pocketable, viewfinder. All bonuses in my book, the lens is a zoom (different variations have different focal lengths) which wasn't a deal breaker for me and neither was the smaller sensor. I just haven't bitten the bullet yet as I'm undecided whether this is the best camera for me because of the next one

Ricoh GR- Small, pocketable, APS-C sensor, but no viewfinder, slightly wider lens too which again isn't a deal breaker. The original GR1 seems to get mentioned in similar conversations to the T2 as a "similar" kind of camera, and then the GR2/3 get mentioned as "similar" to the GR1 so in a way of rationalising it the T2 should be like the GR2/3, whether that's actually the case or not I don't know.

The truth is I couldn't find one camera that did absolutely everything I wanted, so I've been using the T2 still :LOL:

Tell me about this T2! They are very pricey now but I do miss having a compact.

The RX-1 is a fixed 35mm lens, and full frame sensor. Are you thinking of the RX100, which is a zoom lens and 1” sensor?

Personally, I didn’t get on with the X100F I bought a few months ago, after selling my RX1 (bad decision!). Whilst the autofocus is faster than the RX1, I wasn’t particularly impressed with the sensor performance in lower light, or the sharpness of the lens. That’s not to say the X100 variants aren’t capable cameras though, there are clearly photographers getting much better results than I did.

In contrast, I really regret selling my RX1 (with additional EVF), and look back at images now and am seriously impressed with the sharpness/rendering from the 35/2. I haven’t compared it in size to a T2 but it’s a seriously tiny camera, with the same sensor as an A7 mk1 so has excellent low light performance but slightly sluggish autofocus in less than bright conditions.

Ideally, I’d like to move up to an RX1Rii as it has both the improved autofocus/sensor from the A7Rii and an integrated EVF when needed.

Tell me about this T2! They are very pricey now but I do miss having a compact.

It's a nice camera! If its a true point and shoot compact you want then it's great for that. There is the option to change aperture, but it's primitive and there's technically no way of forcing it to shoot wide open as the 2.8 setting also engages P mode. The manual focus is something that's meant to be great for street too but again not really something I use. The viewfinder does give some shutter information, again it's primitive but enough. The metering is good, AF is good, lens is superb, like really superb. The build quality is nice, and probably in a similar league to your 35Ti and as such is weighty. There is the handy feature of exposure compensation too, so you can use it to shoot at different speeds if needed. The flash is good too if you're a fan of the point and shoot, Terry Richardson-esque approach (which I am)

I tend to shoot mine in P mode and AF, this is the simplistic approach but I found me for me it gave the best results. It feels like a camera to not think too much about, just see the shot and shoot it. There isn't much more to it than that (because the camera doesn't give you the option for it) but that approach is really nice for my intended purposes: shooting family days out and parties with the odd bit of travel thrown in. I see it as a really good point and shoot, not a replacement for anything else, and as long as that's what you want then it might be okay for you.

Would I pay the £5/6/700 for one? Maybe not, but i'm a stinge. I bought mine from a customer that I've known for years, he didn't know it's worth so I told him and offered to test and sell it for him (for free as he's a really good customer) He said instead of that, because I was honest with him and if I was interested he'd sell it to me for a drastically reduced price on the premise that I used it, shot with it and didn't sell it. So I did :D

Last edited:
The RX-1 is a fixed 35mm lens, and full frame sensor. Are you thinking of the RX100, which is a zoom lens and 1” sensor?

Yes I did, I read Ian's post above while I was writing my reply so mistyped the model! I'm glad you're awake though.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the RX1 though, it was a camera that I was really interested in at launch but the price was restrictive for me at that point. A full frame Zeiss 35mm f2 might be just what the doctor ordered, with the compromise of it not going into a pocket :LOL: Maybe I need to revisit that one too!

It's a nice camera! If its a true point and shoot compact you want then it's great for that. There is the option to change aperture, but it's primitive and there's technically no way of forcing it to shoot wide open as the 2.8 setting also engages P mode. The manual focus is something that's meant to be great for street too but again not really something I use. The viewfinder does give some shutter information, again it's primitive but enough. The metering is good, AF is good, lens is superb, like really superb. The build quality is nice, and probably in a similar league to your 35Ti and as such is weighty. There is the handy feature of exposure compensation too, so you can use it to shoot at different speeds if needed. The flash is good too if you're a fan of the point and shoot, Terry Richardson-esque approach (which I am)

I tend to shoot mine in P mode and AF, this is the simplistic approach but I found me for me it gave the best results. It feels like a camera to not think too much about, just see the shot and shoot it. There isn't much more to it than that (because the camera doesn't give you the option for it) but that approach is really nice for my intended purposes: shooting family days out and parties with the odd bit of travel thrown in. I see it as a really good point and shoot, not a replacement for anything else, and as long as that's what you want then it might be okay for you.

Would I pay the £5/6/700 for one? Maybe not, but i'm a stinge. I bought mine from a customer that I've known for years, he didn't know it's worth so I told him and offered to test and sell it for him (for free as he's a really good customer) He said instead of that, because I was honest with him and if I was interested he'd sell it to me for a drastically reduced price on the premise that I used it, shot with it and didn't sell it. So I did :D

Thanks for taking the time, Andy. Sounds excellent and glad you got such a good deal on one. No way that's gonna happen to me. I watched a couple on eBay go for £720 and £730 respectively the last couple of days and I don't think I am prepared to pay that. That'll teach me not to sell things.

Thanks for taking the time, Andy. Sounds excellent and glad you got such a good deal on one. No way that's gonna happen to me. I watched a couple on eBay go for £720 and £730 respectively the last couple of days and I don't think I am prepared to pay that. That'll teach me not to sell things.

No problem! It’s a nice camera, it really is but £700+ is too much. I would probably stick with your 35Ti personally :D On the other hand they’re a steal compared to the T3, and Kylie Jenner didn’t even appear on TV with one of those!

No problem! It’s a nice camera, it really is but £700+ is too much. I would probably stick with your 35Ti personally :D On the other hand they’re a steal compared to the T3, and Kylie Jenner didn’t even appear on TV with one of those!

I sold the 35Ti last year. :(

There's a noteable risk that, should the electronics fail, you've got an un-repairable £700 paperweight too. It's a camera that, while almost certainly an excellent performer, has had it's price inflated past reasonable levels by hype.

Looks nice though, weighing those papers down. I agree with the price inflation though.

There's a noteable risk that, should the electronics fail, you've got an un-repairable £700 paperweight too. It's a camera that, while almost certainly an excellent performer, has had it's price inflated past reasonable levels by hype.

Definitely, my only comfort when buying it was that I paid paperweight money for it. They do come up in spares/repairs from time to time in the hope of somebody using for parts I assume. Some of the accessories that came with it could probably put me in profit even if the camera broke.
I sold the 35Ti last year. :(

Looks nice though, weighing those papers down. I agree with the price inflation though.

Sorry must have misread, I did wonder why you didn’t consider the Nikon to be a compact :LOL:

There’s also the likes of the Yashica T2/3/4/5 series for less money, but they’ve been hit by inflation too. In fact lots of point and shoots have, I sold a completely knackered Nikon L35AF last year for nearly £50 on eBay, I couldn’t believe it. I had read some good things about the Minolta A4 series for something really simple, and a lot more modest in price

There’s a T2 on eBay now asking £2200 !

Jesus! Starting to make me rethink that promise not to sell :LOL:

Also my apologies for the thread going off track, although this is what happens when you post a digital question in the film section :D

Also, there is technically a digital version of a Contax camera, it’s the TVS digital. It’s by no means modern however.

Last edited:
Andy
Where are you getting your T2 films processed and do you get scans at the same time ?
Interested to see yr terry Richardson style pics

There’s also the likes of the Yashica T2/3/4/5 series for less money, but they’ve been hit by inflation too. In fact lots of point and shoots have, I sold a completely knackered Nikon L35AF last year for nearly £50 on eBay, I couldn’t believe it. I had read some good things about the Minolta A4 series for something really simple, and a lot more modest in price

I've got a mini collection of Canon Sure Shot models and they all produce great images for not very much outlay. There are loads of cameras in the Sure Shot range and I expect that some of them are less-than-stellar, but there are some excellent ones in there.

Andy
Where are you getting your T2 films processed and do you get scans at the same time ?
Interested to see yr terry Richardson style pics

I had been using FilmDev and was getting them scanned at the same time but they had stopped temporarily due to the ‘rona.

I’ll see if I can find any to share, it’s mainly my family camera so the indoor shots tends to be of my daughter and her cousins playing etc (where the flash is most used hence the straight on flash look) so don’t tend to really upload them, my shots also fall far short of Terry Richardson :D The severe majority of my shots are natural light though to be honest :)

I've got a mini collection of Canon Sure Shot models and they all produce great images for not very much outlay. There are loads of cameras in the Sure Shot range and I expect that some of them are less-than-stellar, but there are some excellent ones in there.

Agreed, before having the Contax my go to P/S was a SureShot AF35MII. Ashamedly I sold that last year too, which I shouldn’t have done but it simply wasn’t getting used. I spent the money on film :D

Last edited:
Agreed, before having the Contax my go to P/S was a SureShot AF35MII. Ashamedly I sold that last year too, which I shouldn’t have done but it simply wasn’t getting used. I spent the money on film :D

I had one of those a couple of years back but sold it on. The photos looked great, but some of the early P&S features were a little clunky (ISTR that locking focus on a subject to recompose involved the use of a lever on the front of the camera), so I sold it on and kept the (slightly) more advanced models.

Actually, this is a great suggestion unless you want a viewfinder, or something that's new. I was really hoping the XF10 would turn out to be the X70 with an upgrade. Sadly it wasn't.

but there are some excellent ones in there.

I really like my Sureshot Ace. Sold the Supreme though for twice what I paid for it. Didn't have the finger strength to fire the shutter. I think my favourite compact though is my Yashica Minitec. lovely 32mm f/3.5 lens on it and tiny. And it sounds so nice to use. Proper pocket camera. Still relatively unsung and less lolprice than the T4.

Yes I did, I read Ian's post above while I was writing my reply so mistyped the model! I'm glad you're awake though.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the RX1 though, it was a camera that I was really interested in at launch but the price was restrictive for me at that point. A full frame Zeiss 35mm f2 might be just what the doctor ordered, with the compromise of it not going into a pocket :LOL: Maybe I need to revisit that one too!

I’ve got to be honest, if I was considering spending £700 on a point and shoot, I’d definitely be looking at an RX1 rather than a T2 (although yes, there’s the minor difference of film!).

For the price you can get an RX1 for it’s hard to beat the size and output. If you fitted a 35/2.8 to an A7 it would still be bigger, and a slower lens. The EVF works well, if a little clunky mounted to the hot shoe, and definitely has a smoother display and better colours than the Fuji X100F EVF.

dsc00195.jpg

There’s a mixed bag of images in this Dropbox folder;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4cu3rlbhlkq8vkj/AADENrT_f46KcU4mgOG6W71Ba?dl=0

Last edited:
GRIII in 35mm crop mode. Haven’t bothered with a 35mm point and shoot ever since I picked up the first GR five years ago. The 24MP sensor in the GRIII makes the 35/50mm crop modes much more usable.

I've had a RX1R for a few years now and it's my favourite digital camera. The way the lens renders images is the nearest thing I've seen to film. One example is that it shows noise even at low ISO, but this is luma noise not chroma, and it is very fine, much like film grain. The used prices for the RX1 and RX1R have come all the way down from £3000 to about £800 now. I've also had the Fuji X100S but it's night and day in terms of output in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with Fuji X100/ Sony RX1/ Leica Q series cameras.

They're all infinitely better than film compacts with their tiny viewfinders, terrible metering and lack of controls. I'd plump for a small SLR over a film compact any day, something like the Contax 139Q with 45mm pancake for example.

Back