Contemplating an iMac, but need to sell PC first

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Still thinking about the change over to a 3.06ghz Mac, but to semi-fund the change i would need to sell my pc.

Can you helpful guys give me an idea on what to expect for the following...

CPU - Intel Core Duo 2 E7200 2.53ghz @3.6ghz
Cooler - Tunic Tower With Silent 120mm FAN
PSU - Corsiar 620W Modular PSU
CASE - Lain LI PC-7Plus (Black Aluminium) with 2 x 120mm Fans
Monitor - Dell 24" 2408WFP
DVDR - ?? 16x
Memory - 4 x 2gb Corsair XMS 6400 DDR2
Motherboard - Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Motherboard
Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint 500gb
Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint 1000gb
GFX - X1900XT-X 512MB

There is also a 320gb system Sata drive that would be 'thrown-in' as well as a generic internal USB card reader in matching black aluminium

Overall its not a bad specification, lots of ram for 64bit OS and plenty of stroage, maybe too much for the average user?

Really you would need a gamer or enthusiast to buy it but the video card is a bit old now and unfortunately 2nd hand PC gear never really gets what is truely worth thanks to so many cheap new PC's and all the new i7 cpu's that have just come out.

It may be worth selling some memory and HDD off separate?

The main attraction will be the monitor which again you may get a better price for on its own.

To give an idea I have just specced a PC for my Sis with a better Core2Duo E8400, 4gb ram, 1x500gb hdd, same quality case and PSU as yours and a Nvidia 896mb 260GTX video for £596 all brand new no monitor.

I would expect to get similar for yours as it is now without the monitor

Overall its not a bad specification, lots of ram for 64bit OS and plenty of stroage, maybe too much for the average user?

Really you would need a gamer or enthusiast to buy it but the video card is a bit old now and unfortunately 2nd hand PC gear never really gets what is truely worth thanks to so many cheap new PC's and all the new i7 cpu's that have just come out.

It may be worth selling some memory and HDD off separate?

The main attraction will be the monitor which again you may get a better price for on its own.

To give an idea I have just specced a PC for my Sis with a better Core2Duo E8400, 4gb ram, 1x500gb hdd, same quality case and PSU as yours and a Nvidia 896mb 260GTX video for £596 all brand new no monitor.

I would expect to get similar for yours as it is now without the monitor

Thanks ppp.

Its pretty much what i was expecting really.

I just need someone to be interested enough to want to buy it :)

I didn't know you could have too much storage :LOL:, but i could maybe remove the 1tb and maybe a 500gb drive to make it more 'accessable' to the average user :shrug:

The big thing about selling it as a whole is convenience. I know the parts work well together as it was specced that way, and am always wary of splitting machines as its possible that i'd be left with one or two bits.

Thanks for your input.

I think you'd be hard pushed to see much difference between what you have and a Mac!

Iv got the Mac Pro 2.8 Dual Quad with 12gig of ram.. now its not bad.. but its not THAT fast!!

It hangs a little when closing things down.. even just Firefox can be slow to close.. i get the colourful wheel thing like the egg timer on a PC i guess.. and closing down CAN take a couple of mins!!

Over all.. im not that impressed!!

To be honest I could never have too much storage and i've got 2.5Tb as you have but a lot of people would think 1 500gig drive is excessive, a second for a backup so was thinking you could sell the others separate and make some more moeny or put them in usb enclosures as external drives for your Mac?

You know I struggle with the OPs dillema. I want an iMac and regularly think about the 3.06 model - I suspect that if Apple had announced a new model last week, I would have ordered it.

I know that fraggle101 is correct -that it won't change my life and will have similar issues to what I have now - but I want one. Bloody marketing and advertisers. I hate them.

Chris

I think you'd be hard pushed to see much difference between what you have and a Mac!

Iv got the Mac Pro 2.8 Dual Quad with 12gig of ram.. now its not bad.. but its not THAT fast!!

It hangs a little when closing things down.. even just Firefox can be slow to close.. i get the colourful wheel thing like the egg timer on a PC i guess.. and closing down CAN take a couple of mins!!

I actually run the full retail Leopard on my 'PC' as it is, but i was after 'downsizing' and reclaiming some space under my desk.

To be honest I could never have too much storage and i've got 2.5Tb as you have but a lot of people would think 1 500gig drive is excessive, a second for a backup so was thinking you could sell the others separate and make some more moeny or put them in usb enclosures as external drives for your Mac?

I already have 3 1tb Satas in an external box as my backup and media storage for the network (kids laptops and Xbox Media Centre)

You know I struggle with the OPs dillema. I want an iMac and regularly think about the 3.06 model - I suspect that if Apple had announced a new model last week, I would have ordered it.

I know that fraggle101 is correct -that it won't change my life and will have similar issues to what I have now - but I want one. Bloody marketing and advertisers. I hate them.

Chris

:LOL:

I know what you mean. The main reason for me wanting the iMac is that i can get rid of the 'two-box-system) i have at the moment, and just move to the one unit. The software is not the thing thats drawing me as like i have said i can triple boot Vista 64 / Ubuntu and Max OSX at the moment.

If you are in no hurry, I'd wait for a couple of months. Rumor ( and you know how reliable they are) has it that new iMacs are soon to be announced. It would appear these may feature the new Quad core Intel chips.

Keep an eye on Macrumours just in case. They were reasonably close on the new Mac books.

I've had a couple of people contact me wanting the monitor, which i would willingly split from the base unit, if i had a buyer for it.

How much would you say the base unit is worth?

Just got off the phone from apple and the FE discount i could get makes it even more attractive, so it looks like the deed is done (subject to final authorisation from SWMBO)

Who wants to buy some PC bits :D

google the sudo periodic commands and ditch firefox for camino or safari. firefox for mac is useless bloat.
should help you get things back up to speed.

I'd be interested in the monitor too if any other prospective buyers fall through :)

google the sudo periodic commands and ditch firefox for camino or safari. firefox for mac is useless bloat.
should help you get things back up to speed.

Its not just slow with the net, closing down is slow too.. closing any program can be slow !! especially Ps.. :shrug:

Well, the order's been placed.

I should have my nice shiny new 24" 3.06ghz in my grubby little mits later this week :D

Lucky git :D I was in PC World earlier this week playing on the 24" iMac, can't stop drooling over how sharp the display is.

Nice :p - Id love an iMac but cant afford it :( - anyone know how much off the student discount is that Apple offers?

Regards, James

If its Further Education it brings the price of the 3.06ghz 24" down from £1359 to £1209. Higher Education is even more of a discount :)

If you dont qualify for either of those they also offer NHS discount if you or a member of the family wotk for the NHS

Sent you a PM, could be interested in base unit cost depending with the 3 500gb drives, no monitor needed

Sent you a PM, could be interested in base unit cost depending with the 3 500gb drives, no monitor needed

Will have a look at it later when i'm home and see if i can come up with a suitable price.

Just checked the tracking and my iMac's arrived in the UK :clap:(y):woot:

We DEMAND pictures when it's set up!!! (y)

Back