Contemplating Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC

Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of getting this lens as a replacement for my kit lens. Onestop-digital have it for £258.99.

Has anyone else here got one, or heard anything about them? I'm presuming that, being a 'EX' lens means it'll be pretty sharp. At least sharper than the kit lens anyway. It's cheaper and lighter than the 17-40L, with a longer top focal length and the (IMO huge) bonus of f/2.8 throughout the zoom. Can't be bad, surely?

It's a 'DC' lens so I guess that's the equivalent of the EF-S lenses, is it? So I couldn't use it on a full-frame body but since I haven't got one and I'm unlikely to be able to afford one anytime soon, that's not too much of an issue.

Anyway, opinions welcome.

PS you get a lovely petal lens hood free as well. Or does the 17-40L come with a hood? I was under the impression Canon charged you for it but I may be wrong.

DC stands for Digital Camera as far as I know m8, intended for 1/3 size sensors like the 350d 20d have.

fingerz said:
PS you get a lovely petal lens hood free as well. Or does the 17-40L come with a hood? I was under the impression Canon charged you for it but I may be wrong.

lol, you're as bad as me, all i wanted was a petal hood with my lens!
sorry, not very constructive

Heh. You gotta love the petals.

So anyway... Sigma's site says this is a new lens so I guess I wasn't really expecting anyone to own it yet. Just wondered if anyone had seen a review. Or knew enough about the 'EX' series to say something like "they're all pretty good, can't go far wrong, etc etc".

Some sort of reassurance that I wouldn't be throwing my money down the drain, basically.

Cheers. Reckon I'll buy it. Probably before I go to bed tonight. That tends to be how these things happen. I start off the day thinking "Hmm... My car could do with a clean". By the end of the day I've got a new Ferrari on credit.

fingerz said:
Cheers. Reckon I'll buy it. Probably before I go to bed tonight. That tends to be how these things happen. I start off the day thinking "Hmm... My car could do with a clean". By the end of the day I've got a new Ferrari on credit.

Need any new mates :D Ferrari cleaning a speciality :whistling

Be interested in a review if you do go for it, could do with a replacement for my kit lens, and with the 24-105mm L off limits for a while I need to seek alternatives. :thumb:

I've had one of these on my 20d for a few months now, I doubt you'll be disappointed I think it's a great lens. It's small and lightweight but feels well built, autofocus could be faster but the image quality is good (enough for me and 8*10 anyway) throughout the zoom range. I prefer it at f5.6 rather than 2.8 but it's perfectly usable at 2.8 when needed.

It's a lot nicer than the 18-55 efs lens anyway.

the kit lens isnt too bad until you try something good.

Back