Converting VHS to Digital

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a load of old movies of the kids saved to VHS. I still have the vhs player somewhere but am looking to buy the converter dongle thingy to connect up between the video player & computer.

Has anyone got any experience/ comments/ recommendations???

Thanks in advance

I'm looking for something like this, I've seen some VHS to USB leads for about £20 but I worry about how fast the transfer rate will be. Not sure if you can get anything that goes via Firewire, but the only other option I guess would be to get a DVD recorder and go straight from VHS to DVD.

If you're looking for an "all in one" solution I can recommend pinnacle. I used it convert my Engagement, Wedding and Wallima (Reception) videos to AVI in 2004.

The software suite is easy to use for editing, lots of special effects. You can use the original sound track or overlay you own.

I'v got an easycap, got it to convert someones VHS to DVD's but his vhs player didnt play, I guess it didnt like being stored in a slightly damp place for 10 years, a friend borrowed it to capture his ps3 ownage and make a vid, he says it was fine.

easyCAP.jpg

Oh and Amjad, I think OP meant hardware to convert avi signal to something a PC would recognise.

Theres a fair few pci cards that you can plug into the PC and then plug the avi cable into those but the easycap plugs into USB and you plug your avi cables into the other end, comes with software etc

Oh and Amjad said:
I realise that, that's what I meant by the "all in one" solution. The package I bought had the PCI card so I could connect the vcr and the software to manage the editing process, ie; "all in one". ;)

The AVI part I referred to was the file format used on the computer.

Previously I used a Canopus ADVC 55 SD Firewire Analogue to Digital Converter. About 150 notes, but good quality, and easy to sell on after use. You'll need your own software though.

i converted my VHS to DIGITAL with ION 2 PC, it took me ages as had lots of motorcycle videos, if you get the software take them of computer as you go as it will clog it up, and as you probably know you lose a lot of picture quality,
and if you have long VIDS over two hours you will need DUAL LAYER discs but make sure they are good quality.
this is the one i bought http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=X&ei=DZXuTbrzFpSbhQfjgfHBCQ&ved=0CFIQ8wIwAw#

Back