Cooking Oil on Water

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
I like the last three....looks a bit like stained glass, in an abstract sort of way...

Thank you Lee - I actually thought exactly the same :eek:

Thank you for your comments

Les (y)

I still need to try this with some holograms behind it from work! Nice creativity les my man!!

Lovely colours Les(y)

Unbelievable Lez..

The colours on these are absolutely gorgeous. And pin sharp aswell!

#1 is my favourite, but they are all fantastic!

So how did you get these fantastic effects?

Thanks all for the comments

To obtain these effects is very simple

1. fill a glass bowl 1/2 full of cold water

2. add one or two drops of washing up liquid

3. allow to stand for 5 mins at leat,until the water is clear

4. add 3 or 4 drops of cooking oil, bubbles will form on the surface

5. place any coloured paper you have lying around under the glass bowl-I used a magazine from under the coffee table :LOL:

6. Light the bowl from above ( desk Lamp is ideal for this) WB set to suit
7. shoot with Macro lens ( in this case my Sigma 105Mmm F2.8) from above - stopped down to at least f8 or smaller, I used my manfrotto tripod to position the lens directly above the bowl and used a wireless remote to fire the shutter - Live view on the camera helped acheive focus

The results can be varied by using different paper under the glass bowl,old christmas paper would be ideal

Hope that helped?

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shots. I've been trying to get some decent water shots recently and none were as good as these. I will try to recreate this for myself

My pleasure guys- good Luck (y)

Look forward to seeing your results in due course

Les ;)

Love these pictures. Thanks for sharing your tips, I may have to have a go later on..

These look amazing. My favorite is number 2. And i agree with Solo_man that they remind me of stained glass. It's nice how simply you photographed this daily occurrence in such perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank all for such kind comments :D

I would recommend trying this, its very easy :eek:

Les (y)

Hi les
Some stunning shots there, thanks for info
Can't wait to get my macro lens and give it a try

Chris

Thank you Chris- I aim to please :D good luck with the Macro

Les

Thanks all who pm'd me -advice freely given :LOL::eek:

Les :D

Les, these are excellent and I especially like number 2, and within that the right side where there is an absence of small bubbles. I'm guessing these small ones are caused by the washing up liquid:shrug: Is there any way you've tried that keeps the bubbles big only?

No I;m afraid I have'nt the oil reacts to the detergent and you get what you get :LOL::LOL:

always worth experimenting with less oil / more detergent etc- its all a learning curve anyhow

I could remove the smaller bubbles with CS5 but I didnt lol

Les (y)

Someone else said stained glass, and I agree that this is just what it looks like. The last 2 are my personal favourites.

Thank you Ruth & Carlo- comments are appreciated

Les (y)

A rare forray into this section for me! The title intrigued and interested me and the shots don't disappoint! Might have to have a play one day!

Many years ago I got slightly fixated on trying to capture anti-bubbles (the droplets of water that float/skate on the surface) and in many ways your set ape the effect I was hoping (but never managed) to capture. Great idea and great execution.

Thank you Nod & Kevin

Different effects can be had using different BG's - I do think Christmas / Birthday wrapping paper coild give a multitude of effects

I may have another play this weekend :D

Les (y)

Thank you Chris-Im glad you liked them :D

Les (y)

Beautiful photos, beautiful. An inspiration. I guess I'll be having a go. Thanks for the heads up on the method!

Go for it Phil,the more back grounds you have the creative you can be

I find old magazine are perfect for this

Les (y)

Back