Cordless trigger of Sekonic 358

Name
Andy Reed
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've just bought myself a Sekonic 358 flash meter which I'd like to me able to use in cordless mode. My Bowens strobes are triggered remotely using a pair of Pulsar's. Now if I attach my trigger Pulsar to the meter using the sync cord it triggers and meters perfectly. However if I switch to cordless mode (http://www.sekonic.com/images/files/L-358.pdf, page 16), remove the sync cord and fire the strobes manually I get an 'E.u' underexposure reading.

I would like to use this mode so that I don't have to keep removing my trigger Pulsar from my camera whenever I need to meter.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong when switching to cordless mode?

In both instances I have the meter positioned the same and the light level metered in corded mode is f8 @ 125sec/iso100 so well in range.

Many thanks,
Andy.

Are you doing it quick enough Andy? I've got the 308 and in cordless mode I think you only have 10 seconds from pressing the meter/sample button to fire the flash.

Hi Kev,

I don't think it can be that. You get 90 seconds on the 358. After I've triggered the reading the mode symbol is still flashing to indicate its still ready to sample.

Andy.

Hi,

I've just bought myself a Sekonic 358 flash meter which I'd like to me able to use in cordless mode. My Bowens strobes are triggered remotely using a pair of Pulsar's. Now if I attach my trigger Pulsar to the meter using the sync cord it triggers and meters perfectly. However if I switch to cordless mode (http://www.sekonic.com/images/files/L-358.pdf, page 16), remove the sync cord and fire the strobes manually I get an 'E.u' underexposure reading.

I would like to use this mode so that I don't have to keep removing my trigger Pulsar from my camera whenever I need to meter.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong when switching to cordless mode?

In both instances I have the meter positioned the same and the light level metered in corded mode is f8 @ 125sec/iso100 so well in range.

Many thanks,
Andy.

Forgive me asking what may be a stupid question but have you purchased the wireless module that does not come standard with the meter?. Without that it will not work in cordless mode.

I have just this week got myself one of these meters and would also like to eventually get the wireless module, but it's about £50-£70.

Hi Geoff,

You shouldn't actually need the radio module to use the 358 in cordless mode. In auto-reset cordless mode it puts the meter into a monitoring mode where it is triggered by any observed flash. The advantage of the radio module is that the flash is automatically triggered from the meter trigger button.

Andy.

Hi Geoff,

You shouldn't actually need the radio module to use the 358 in cordless mode. In auto-reset cordless mode it puts the meter into a monitoring mode where it is triggered by any observed flash. The advantage of the radio module is that the flash is automatically triggered from the meter trigger button.

Andy.

Sorry Andy I was getting my wireless/cordless wires crossed :wacky: I should be the last one to give advice - I'm still getting to grips with this thing myself, I'll be asking questions later!

Geoff

You got me thinking there for a second. I'm pretty sure I have it right. It certainly makes a reading when the strobe is triggered even though the result is E.u. Hmmm....

Having the radio module would certainly be nice but I don't believe they work with the Bowens Pulsar's so I'd need a Pocket Wizard receiver.

Andy.

I know there's a module you can buy to trigger pocket wizards from the 358, it's not something like that you need? :shrug:

Hi Geoff,

Andy.

Thats true John. Cheers for having a think about it. I'm not entirely sure where to go with this one to be honest. I guess I'll just stick to using it corded until I work out what's going on.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Andy.

hav you tried contacting the manufacturer or distributor?

What you need to do is get down to basics. remove the Pulsars completly, Now with the dome in place set the meter to cord operation . Fit the cord and point directly at the flash. You say this works OK. Now remove the cord, set the meter to non cord and press the meter switch. This will cause the meter indicator to blink. Now within a few seconds point the meter at the flash and fire the flash.This should give a correct indication on the meter. If not the meter is duff.

Back