Critique Cornish Twilight Milkyway

Happysnapper79

Suspended / Banned
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted this in the Landscapes section but got no feedback so thought I would give it a shot here.

Here is a shot I took whilst on holiday in August. The clouds are annoyance but as I only got chance to get out with the camera of an evening once there was no option to try again on a totally clear night.
C+C welcome

Thanks for looking

As a seasoned night shooter I hate cloud when I want to shoot the stars, I actually think however in this instance I think the clouds add to the scene rather than detract, the honest thing is as a scene it's devoid of any interest, but the idea of the stars hiding above the clouds I find really quite appealing, I suspect with some careful processing more could be got out of this image, to make the Milky Way just pop that little bit more :thinking:

When it comes to post processing I am a real beginner and so a little bit of reading on google is going to be in order to make more of the Milky Way.
I agree with what you are saying with regards to the scene, I do think that the lack of interest at the bottom gives the impression of how small we are an as existence though in comparison to space.

Thanks for the comment MWHCVT, appreciated.

John, check this photo out for the difference processing can make to a Milky Way photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/andwhynot/9113172141/

I was planning a lot more Milky Way shooting this summer but a car accident took me out of the picture for the last few months :(

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope you are on the mend. The difference in the two photos is amazing, definitely think I need to learn how to do some tweaking.
I have recently been bit by the whole low light/night photography bug and this was only my 2nd go at photographing the Milky Way.

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope you are on the mend. The difference in the two photos is amazing, definitely think I need to learn how to do some tweaking.
I have recently been bit by the whole low light/night photography bug and this was only my 2nd go at photographing the Milky Way.

Thanks :) I'm getting there now, it's just a dodgy ankle that's stopping me now, and that's healing just about now :)

Clouds often add a great deal of interest. It depends what you're doing. Long exposures.. or stacks of them for star trails, yeah I can image they are a pain in the arse, but shorter exposures for stuff like this, and they often add interest to an otherwise dull image.

uUt1j74.jpg

I think there's a great deal more detail waiting to get out of your image with correct processing.

I don't mind the clouds on your image either... it gives it a layered appearance... as if it's ground... air.. space...

I like it. I think the colours are a bit much though... often happens with a long exposure with light pollution, or pre-dawn glow in the sky... although that's almost certainly light pollution on those clouds.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's light pollution reflected back because the shot is actually looking out to sea.
I like your shot Pookey. What do you suggest with regards to getting the best out of the image? Like I say I am a real beginner when it comes to any processing.

Thanks for your comments

Back