Beginner Cornwall Sunset + a cove landcape

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Birthday trip to Cornwall last weekend so only took my Nikon D3500, kit lens 18-55mm + tripod to keep weight down as it wasn't a photography trip. Only been shooting since April this year so still trying to get my composition skills and head round the technical side of things. Never shot a sunset before and the light was extremely difficult to work with as the sun was setting behind cloud on the horizon so I didn't get the whole blown up colored sky I would have liked, but first world problems eh.

Nothing like learning on the job & took some absolutely appalling pictures but found at least a handful I like.

My beach images would have been better with smooth sand but there was a lot of activity with dog walkers etc. Hopefully this is just a start for me I really enjoyed trying to capture something.

Cornwall Kynance by K4E, on Flickr

Cornwall 2nd Sunset-3 by K4E, on Flickr

Cornwall 2nd Sunset by K4E, on Flickr

I did have my 10 Stop ND already on the lens so tried to see what it turned out like. Not sure if I like this or not.

Cornwall 2nd Sunset-2 by K4E, on Flickr

Anyways thanks for looking

Last edited:
A fellow D3500 owner who enjoys shooting around Cornwall, who has also only been shooting since April and i'm guessing also supports Liverpool as well? (judging by your username).

That's just too good to be true, are you actually me? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though lovely pictures! To be honest I don't think I've produced anywhere near as nice a shot as these with my D3500, curious to know what settings you are using and editing software (if you have edited that is).

Keep it up!! :love:

A fellow D3500 owner who enjoys shooting around Cornwall, who has also only been shooting since April and i'm guessing also supports Liverpool as well? (judging by your username).
Yes luckily a season ticket holder to ;)

Seriously though lovely pictures! To be honest I don't think I've produced anywhere near as nice a shot as these with my D3500, curious to know what settings you are using and editing software (if you have edited that is).

Keep it up!! :love:
Thank you. I do use Adobe lightroom for editing.

The sunset images firstly I exposed correctly as best I could then I bracketed two more a few stops either side and merged in lightroom. The highlights to shadows just had too much range and without a graduated ND filter with me it was all i could do to get some actual data.

The image at Kynance cove was f/11.0 18.0 mm 5secs with 10 stop filter and ISO 100.

Four very nice shots, all nicely presented with #3 being my fav'.

George.

Back