Correct colour using canon eos 40d

K

keithhphoto

Most of my photography is studio based. Im using a canon eos 40d and bowens studio lights. I would like some advice on setting my white balence. I always set it on the flash white balance, but my pictures seem too saturated and im never 100% happy with the skin tones. If theres any 40d users out there that can let me know what works best for them that would be great.
Thanks

Play around with the picture styles settings, you can adjust the colour tone, saturation, contrast and sharpness.

Saturation and white balance are two different things. Using the 40D you could take a custom white balance shot of a white or grey card at the subject position then use that image to set the custom white balance. That's what I tend to do when in doubt, although something like the ExpoDisc looks like it should be very useful.

Set a custom white balance under your lights, it's the only way to get it just so. If you can then save that great, if not check on the colour temp setting you've got in a raw processor and use that for all your studio stuff.

Set a custom white balance under your lights, it's the only way to get it just so. If you can then save that great, if not check on the colour temp setting you've got in a raw processor and use that for all your studio stuff.
:agree:

Are you shooting RAW or jpeg?

If shooting raw, get your subject to hold a grey card, keep that image and set your white balance in post processing off the grey value. The entire batch of images can be easily adjusted for the white balance at the time of the shoot then.

Re the saturation comments, I didn't think the picture styles had any effect on a raw image.....it doesn't on my 5d anyway.....raws are flat straight from the camera.

Back