Non UK Costa Rica

nc_killie

POTY (Joint) 2016
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking about going to Costa Rica for bird photography - does anyone have any recommendations about guides, companies etc

Thanks in advance

John

Cotinga Tours do birding tours, not specifically for photographers but I managed 250 species over 16 days...

Savegre (for the Quetzals), Carara National Park (Scarlet Macaws), Arenal Observatory, Guancanate National park, Sarapiqui (Scarlet macaws) and Tortuguero (for turtles etc)....

Cotinga have fantastic guides and although some UK firms use them I suggest going direct especially if you know already how to photograph them...

Registering my interests for bird photography information for Costa Rica. I know some resorts provide feeding station that attracts many birds.

Most have humming bird feeders, while others have stations for larger birds (including honeycreepers, euphonias and tanagers plus more) e.g Arenal Observatory Lodge. But some of the more exotic species such as the Quetzal, the Trogons or manakins have to be looked for...

There are some trips advertised where photo opportunities are set up for Hummers and frogs, but I am not personally keen on them.

Hi John....we visited Costa Rica a few weeks ago and largely self drove / guided.
- it's a pretty simple country to navigate so long as you have a good (Toyota!) 4x4.

A few images here. Happy to provide locations if you are interested?

Last edited:
I was in Costa Rica in March. I would plan on several locations spending a few days at each one. That's because the ecosystems and species vary by region. I had howler monkeys in the Osa peninsula, scarlet macaws in the mid-Pacific, and a quetzal in Monteverde. Some ecolodges are in or near wild areas that allow one to go photographing on foot. Many offer tours (at cost or sometimes included) to nearby parks. One has to do quite a bit of research to learn about all the options.

R7_C8084 Slate-throated Whitestart-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Slate-throated Whitestart, Monteverde

Last edited:
If you are flexible with timings - and assuming that you are not only interested in birds - try to go when you can see turtles emerging. I think costs go up around the US thanksgiving.

Coincidentally I had an Email from "Natures Lens " a couple of days ago saying that space had become available on their Costa Rica workshop at the end of the year. It may be worth a look as they are offering a discount.

My wife and I went in 2020 with Exodus. Not the cheapest of trips, but really excellent.

During Covid lockdown, I built a website to share with our group.

Last edited:
Back