Costco scratch negative

Is it normal to find smudges and scratches on negative?

Not normal, no. Stick up an example it will help identify the problem.

i think i find the sources of the problem.
Light seals deteriorate and crap stuff on the back pressure plate of my Om2n

Crap on the back plate would surely consistently scratched across the entire film or a fair portion of it. If its individual frames, thats not your issue.

Same with smudges, I dont think light seals would smudge anything, just plonk odd light on the frames... also consistently I would imagine.

Any of the better informed can quite probably say with more accuracy

VirtualAdept said:
Crap on the back plate would surely consistently scratched across the entire film or a fair portion of it. If its individual frames, thats not your issue.

Same with smudges, I dont think light seals would smudge anything, just plonk odd light on the frames... also consistently I would imagine.

Any of the better informed can quite probably say with more accuracy

Just been to costco and what a surprise they are having the machine service.
The guy told me its over 17 years old and its all bang up.

Just got some negative back from booth and they are perfect with no scratch dust or smudges.
Same film, same camera .

There's your answer mate... I've found that the supermarkets round here, when they still did developing, were hit and miss at best

VirtualAdept said:
There's your answer mate... I've found that the supermarkets round here, when they still did developing, were hit and miss at best

Im starting my own B&W film developing this week, just waiting for my developer who ad got lost in transit :)

VirtualAdept said:
What developer did you got for in the end?

ID11 but it was not in the box when the delivery arrived today :(
Practice a lot last night and i think i will load a bit of the film on the reel before putting it in the bag to make it more easy.

That definitely gets easier the more you do.

ETA: Something I picked up from this very forum, try cutting the corners of the film to 45 degrees ish, it makes loading them on the reel so so much easier

Last edited:
Back