Costs of advertising on websites - CPM

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of buying/selling advertising on websites and if so what sort of rates you would expect to be reasonable for CPM? I'm thinking in terms of say a top of the page banner ad, not geo-targetted on a tech web site.

This all depends on the sites throughput and its knowledge of previous per click revenues. If it's a large site then expect very big prices..my partner works for a company that has a top ranking (google no1) website that attains over 6 million unique visitors per day, they allow advertising and for a third tear very small advert/banner (you have to navigate through three seperate levels before you would see it) they charge €700 per month. They are very well orgonised though and are constantly being contacted by potential comapnies wishing to use all available space, so much so that they are completely booked up for at least 12mths in advance.

The cost for first tear advert space on the said site is just not worth thinking about. The reason I know about all this is because I cheekily enquired about having a link to here on their site. As you can tell, I shelved the idea once I found out the costs. :D

very expensive. For my business dealings i have had to enquire about this, its silly money!

I wouldn't just shelve the idea though, if you find a small but specific site that has the same audience as you are targeting then an advert on there could cost very little and still bring in the results that you are after. I guess it is all about researching what is out there and asking the questions of the sites, it costs nothing to enquire remember. :)

Thanks for the replies. It's actually me trying to sell space and what I've begun to realise is that unless you have a site like Steve's partner the value of that space is only what someone is prepared to pay. Makes any kind of plan and budget almost impossible to prepare.

Third parties like burst or adclick etc might well be the best route to take.

Again I would research other sites similar to yours but with adverts and enquire with them as a perspective advertiser how much it would cost. From that you will have a ball park figure that you can work with.

Sometimes the Google adds are a very good proposition as not only will they bring in a small amount of money, they will also assist in your page ranking with the search engines in general and that in turn could increase your website traffic and allow you to charge for advertisements.

Steve said:
Sometimes the Google adds are a very good proposition as not only will they bring in a small amount of money, they will also assist in your page ranking with the search engines in general and that in turn could increase your website traffic and allow you to charge for advertisements.
Yep, googleads are already taking in a reasonable sum. It's trying to make the best return out of other available space which is the problem, without losing the googleads income. Ive seen rates for other sites which vary between 2$ and $75. Trying to pitch in between that is a bit difficult and potential advertisers know they have options.

Back