South-West England Cotswolds

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for somewhere to go next week and I'm considering the Cotswolds.

I've not been there before so looking for some suggestions on where to stay (location and/or hotel/B&B).

Also any recommendations on places to visit would be great :)

Thanks

Depends what you like doing, but somewhere picturesque like Castle Combe is always a nice place to visit. Slimbridge or Stow on the wold , Moreton in Marsh Broadway

Last edited:
Bibury- Arlington Row is always busy with tourists but will be ok this time of year.
Tetbury / Stroud are all pretty scenic places

Stow on the wold, Bourton on the water & Bourton on the hill, Bibury, Broadway tower, the Slaughters, Chastleton house, Batsford arboretum.

Diddly Squatt farm is around Chipping Norton, and Cotswold distillery is at Stourton.

I don't have any recommendations for accommodation really - booking.com might be helpful.

Last edited:
Daylesford Farm Shop is a nice wander if you’re into that kind of thing.

It’s where Clarkson got his inspiration for the Diddly Squatt Farm shop I believe.

Cheltenham. While you are there you could drop in and say hello to my sister, and on the other side of town, my daughter.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I will head there on Monday for 4 nights.

Is there a good place central to stay or is everything pretty close?

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I will head there on Monday for 4 nights.

Is there a good place central to stay or is everything pretty close?

None of the Cotswold villages are very far from each other, one hours drive will span the area, probably less. You are not far from Stratford-on-Avon or Tewksbury with their Tudor-faced dwellings, both are pretty and are photogenic places to go.

Cheltenham is a reasonably large town with many hotels and is not too far from anywhere; or you might consider Evesham, although I haven't been there for years so can't vouch for it anymore.

None of the Cotswold villages are very far from each other, one hours drive will span the area, probably less. You are not far from Stratford-on-Avon or Tewksbury with their Tudor-faced dwellings, both are pretty and are photogenic places to go.

Cheltenham is a reasonably large town with many hotels and is not too far from anywhere; or you might consider Evesham, although I haven't been there for years so can't vouch for it anymore.

Thanks, just had a look on booking.com for places to stay in Cheltenham, £500-600 a night, yikes, expensive place!

Try an Airbnb or a Premier Inn etc
Cirencester / Cheltenham area should be cheaper than 500 pn

Thanks, just had a look on booking.com for places to stay in Cheltenham, £500-600 a night, yikes, expensive place!

Stay clear of Cheltenham - it’s the National Hunt Festival week, prices go through the roof.
Anywhere within easy reach of Cheltenham the accommodation prices will be inflated - not a good time to visit!

Last edited:
Stay clear of Cheltenham - it’s the National Hunt Festival week, prices go through the roof.
Anywhere within easy reach of Cheltenham the accommodation prices will be inflated - not a good time to visit!

Thanks that makes sense, a lot of places were fully booked and holiday inn was close to £1500 for 4 nights. Looks like I’m off to the lakes instead.

You have chosen the wrong week. As stated above it is the Gold Cup Festival which will cause a hike in prices all round the area not just in Cheltenham. Transport may be a problem as well (too much and prices increases). Also you need to decide what it is you want to see? Cheltenham is Regency. Gloucester and Cirencester are Roman. Stroud and Chipping Norton are more famous for woolen mills. Places like Broadway, Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Chipping Camden are picturesque Cotswold villages though probably few local left instead we have Royalty and Clarkson (always in trouble). The Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley are nearby and also very attractive. I suggest that you plan in more detail and go in the Summer.

Dave

Ah, sorry, I'd forgotten to mention the Cheltenham festival. My sister used to put up Irish race-goers in her house (she lives about 500yds from the track entrance) and charge them a small fortune. I just looked up hotel prices for, say, the end of March and two people can stay for three nights for less than three hundred quid. In fairness, I didn't see the post where you said when you were going so didn't really consider the Festival.

Thanks for all of the replies, I've decided against going next week and I'm heading to the lakes instead. I'll probably do a long weekend in the Cotswolds next month.

Certainly wise to avoid the Cheltenham area next week. I live in Stroud but never really consider it part of the Cotswolds like say Cirencester because it’s not as pretty and has a more hippie vibe to it, although of course geographically it is!!

When you do come to the Cotswolds Cirencester is a good base to travel from and plenty of picturesque areas but imo not stunning areas like say the lakes! Avoid the tourist trap places like the plague, these are pretty but their chocolate box scenes have literally been done to death!

but their chocolate box scenes have literally been done to death!

Bourton-on-the-Water being top of the list IMHO -- although I quite liked Birdland.

The chocolate box places are good to visit just to get a feel for the area IMO. And if you've never been before then you might see a new shot that's not been done to death.

Although I live in Cheltenham, last summer we visited Bourton-on-the-Water with my 5 year old granddaughter. We went to Birdland and the Model Village as well as crossing the little bridges in the centre. Yes, there were a lot of tourist but not enough to spoil it. We all thoroughly enjoyed our visit and the Dinosaurs at Birdland were a surprise and highlight for my Granddaughter.

Dave

Back