Beginner Couple of fruit shots

1) is a little to central for me I'd crop a little from the top and the left of frame that would take the subject off centre (y) now this is personal but I'm a little drawn to the fact the centre of the raspberry is a little OOF I'd have made that area my point of focus and selected an slightly smaller aperture to keep the entire ripe raspberry in focus, your really close to having that as it is...

2) truth be told for me the fruit is far to small in frame, again it's very central, I'm guessing that you've used built in flash on this one it's caused a very harsh light on the subject...unfortunately you've also missed focus the plum is not in focus at all it looks to me that the branch or leaves is where the focus was set...

3) it works well for me the focus looks spot on to me and again a really nice DoF I'd be tempted to crop in closer as you've got a fair amount of dead space, the only real issue on this one for me is the I can only guess fence/wire in the background causing the light horizontal line is really distracting which a real shame and an incitement on looking at your background as much as you look at your subject

Your doing well as a beginner, as we all start somewhere, the main thing to really watch is your focus, as its fundamental a lot of things can be fixed or at least adjusted/improved upon in editing however an out of focus shot will always be out of focus

Keep it up and most importantly really make sure you post as often as you can on the forum, there are so many talented photographers on here that will help you improve so much and quickly, I wish I'd been on here from when I first got the photography bug, TP has done so much for me as a photographer :woot:

Hi Matthew, again thanks for the advice, the third one is my favourite as well but I had not really noticed the wire in the background, probably too focussed on the fruit :). These are as they came off the camera as have not tried my hand at editing yet, so much to learn :LOL:.

What would you recommend as a good editing program ?

As a beginner research 'the rule of two thirds' aside from the focus and flash issues these can be vastly improved with good composition. Best of all you don't need anymore kit/programs just move your camera a bit!

Hi Matthew, again thanks for the advice, the third one is my favourite as well but I had not really noticed the wire in the background, probably too focussed on the fruit :). These are as they came off the camera as have not tried my hand at editing yet, so much to learn :LOL:.

What would you recommend as a good editing program ?

When your starting out its best IMO to concentrate on basic editing and there is a free bit of software called PhotoScape, that is wonderful (y) however if your shooting RAW I personally find it woeful for converting RAWs for the I find the best is photoshop, you can pick up something like Photoshop Elements at a very reasonable price

It's a massive learning process but that's half the fun, you'll find before to long things just start to click and become second nature

Thanks will give PhotoScape a try. I am having great fun learning, wish I had got into this years ago :)

quite like the 3rd shot, as others have mentioned. Before you take a shot, just have a quick look at what will be in the background and you'll soon start to notice things that might look a bit odd, leading to better camera angles. Good start though!

quite like the 3rd shot, as others have mentioned. Before you take a shot, just have a quick look at what will be in the background and you'll soon start to notice things that might look a bit odd, leading to better camera angles. Good start though!

Thanks for the advice James, hopefully all will help me get better, I do find myself looking at things differently now.

You are welcome. I started on the same camera as you and its a great piece of kit thats quite hard to outgrow!

Hi BB40

Personally I like the first best. Colour looks good and has more detail to feast the eye on. I think it would be better with a central, square crop and to hell with the rule of thirds / off centre.
The green rasps in Bg are a bit of a distraction for me and i think just the main subject would have worked better - Take small snips next year.
Also a little moisture / raindrops on the rasp would have given a little more interest - Carry your own rain cloud in a spry bottle at all times when shooting fruit on a dry day.
Keep up the good work ... and don't forget to sample the subjects after shooting.

Hi Rockshifter thanks for the comments, like the idea of the spray bottle for your own rain :)

Back