Scotland Covid restrictions for Scottish Islands

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I was planning a day trip to one of the islands in the next few weeks, and was checking up on ferry services. I was a bit surprised to find that the strong recommendation is that 2 Covid tests should be taken before travelling to any island, and the details are at this link. While it is listed as voluntary, the free issue of lateral flow tests with the suggestion of everyone testing themselves every 3 or 4 days is a surprise. The test routine is shown on this video.

Calmac ferries have also produced a video of their precautions.

I was planning a day trip to one of the islands in the next few weeks, and was checking up on ferry services. I was a bit surprised to find that the strong recommendation is that 2 Covid tests should be taken before travelling to any island, and the details are at this link. While it is listed as voluntary, the free issue of lateral flow tests with the suggestion of everyone testing themselves every 3 or 4 days is a surprise. The test routine is shown on this video.

Calmac ferries have also produced a video of their precautions.
Why are you surprised?
They want to try and avoid an outbreak caused by visitors from the mainland....

Especially when the entire healthcare infrastructure on many islands comprises a GP &/or a district nurse, which is easily overwhelmed.

Why are you surprised?
They want to try and avoid an outbreak caused by visitors from the mainland....
Especially when the entire healthcare infrastructure on many islands comprises a GP &/or a district nurse, which is easily overwhelmed.
I think you guys are missing my point here. I'm highly aware of the potential problems of taking covid onto the islands, but I hadn't considered the early testing suggestion for day trips which are often a late decision based on weather, and pretty much for pleasure. My reason for posting was a heads-up for those who wanted to be doing "the right thing", and not as a criticism. Rothesay. Milport, Arran, Lismore, Mull, Raasay and others are the sort of places to enjoy a daytrip, but the 3 day in advance testing would possibly put people off?

Rothesay. Milport, Arran, Lismore, Mull, Raasay and others are the sort of places to enjoy a daytrip, but the 3 day in advance testing would possibly put people off?
Maybe that's the intention?
I'd imagine many will ignore it though as it's only voluntary.

Last edited:
Back