Beginner CPL causing reflections on lens?

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I was out taking photos of a waterfall in a shaded wood, standard lenses fitted, and a filter holder with105mm CPL fitted to take the reflections off the water surface.
When I got home to edit them, I notice that there is a semi circle reflection ring on the lower part of a lot of photos, probably caused by light bouncing between the end of the lens and the CPL at the end of the filter holder. The sun was directly behind me at approx. 7pm in the evening.
Ive never had this before. Is there a way to prevent it or was I just in the wrong place? I will try ad post and example shot later when I'm home.

I've had this before. There is a gap between the lens and the filter so you have to shade the top of it with your hand or hat.

You can usually see it in live view

Two things to be aware of and without seeing the image may or may not be relevant :). The first is to make sure the eye piece is covered if triggering remotely - in extreme cases it can end up looking like this ...
Filter_Lens_Fault_D810-1212 by Paul, on Flickr

The other things is to be aware of where the sun or light source is and shield the filters from it - this is more likely what has happened to you from your description. I have used my hand and at times a baseball cap to do this (rest the peak of the cap on the top of the holder - works a treat but no good if its windy ;) ).

Two things to be aware of and without seeing the image may or may not be relevant :). The first is to make sure the eye piece is covered if triggering remotely - in extreme cases it can end up looking like this ...
Filter_Lens_Fault_D810-1212 by Paul, on Flickr

The other things is to be aware of where the sun or light source is and shield the filters from it - this is more likely what has happened to you from your description. I have used my hand and at times a baseball cap to do this (rest the peak of the cap on the top of the holder - works a treat but no good if its windy ;) ).

If it weren't for the smaller flare at the top that's actually kind of a neat effect.

Back