Cradle Mountain & Dove Lake

Edit My Images
Yes
A shot from my recent trip to Tasmania.

Honest C&C appreciated.

original.jpg

I can see what your trying to do with this shot, However I think the foreground foilage spoils the shape of the lake, if that makes sense. It is unfortunate that the cloud it so low too as I think the shot would have been improved greatly with some interesting light and more features. Just my opinion and not saying it is right :)

Thanks for your comments. I think the cloud give a bit of atmosphere in the absence of golden hour light!

It looks so much better at full screen size on my 24in iMac then is does at 800px wide.

For me, the shot works. Whilst I agree with the comments above, I also think it works in its current form. A lovely dramatic landscape, looks like an awesome place to visit.

Gary.

Too much of one bush in the foreground for me. I want to get higher and look over it :)
It's a nice scene and the cloud level gives some scale. The bush and the burnt out patch of sky do detract from it a bit.

I cycled to the top of cradle mountain once. Couldn't see a darn thing for the mist. Cycled back down again.

Did see a Tasmanian Devil though, which was cool.

Agree with the general comments about the photo, but it might benefit a bit from a crop off the bottom to lose some of the bush, though the sky lacks a bit of definition at this scale.

Last edited:
Cheers for the comments guys. I increased the foreground as there was no interest in the rest of the sky/clouds. On a larger scale there is more definition in the clouds, well at least on the iMac screen there is, maybe I need to calibrate my screen.

Aberal, that must have been one hell of a ride up there, serious acheivement.

Aberal, that must have been one hell of a ride up there, serious acheivement.

It was a tad hilly as I recall. Stayed in a place going by the godawful name of "Cosy Cabins".

This shot here, taken with a 2.1 mp Canon Ixus and not a great photo to my more experienced eyes, is on the road leading to Cradle Mountain (seen in the distance), and was for a long time my very favourite photo. Not so much for its technical qualities, but for the feelings it evokes. In fact this has given me an idea for another thread...

2573311023_651b989c37.jpg

Back