Crappy eBay triggers

I've bought 3 sets of these for myself, friends and family and they've all worked fine.

My set up is an EOS 350D and a 380ex speedlight but I have also used them to trigger the studio flashes at college.

Have you tried contacting them and asking for a replacement? They could just be faulty set.

You could also try making sure that they are firmly screwed tight. When I have had them fail this has always got them working.

...I found that you had to shimmy them in exactly the right spot for them to work. They are not built to the same exacting standards you may expect.

Chris

tried all that, still not working. pretty annoying as it would cost more than theyre worth to send them back.

need a better way to get off camera flash

Take the cover off the receiver and try them again, if they fire then the problem is the clip for the rear cover pushing against the battery terminal, it's a well-documented problem with these....

tried that too, like i say, the light on both the receiver and transmitter light up when taking a photo or pressing the test button, but it just doesnt fire the flash

tried that too, like i say, the light on both the receiver and transmitter light up when taking a photo or pressing the test button, but it just doesnt fire the flash

Try jiggling the flash about on the receiver hotshoe - I ended up having to put card wedges on mine to get them to work with the SB-600s. Then I got fed up with all the faffing around and bought Pocket Wizards :LOL:

ive got some of these and they work fine with my 20d and 580mk2 and starblitz flash gun.

personally id recommend using sync cords anyway as the brackets on the receivers cannot support the weight reliably of a flash gun.

Might sound a bit stupid, but the description of flashes that appear on the ebay listing does not mention Jessops 360 AFD flash? Are you sure its compatible to that flash, in other words have you tried another flash ( a loan even)

thanks for all the help but i dont see it working. been trying for hours. cant try another flash right now but searching the internet it looks like others have used it with the 360afd fine.

with regards to using cables, am i right in thinking i just need a hotshoe to pc adapter for the flash and the camera? and connect using a pc cable?

i had a jessops hotshoe-hotshoe style coiled cable but it was far too short to be of any use.

I got one of ebay and think it cost more to post it, it ended up in the bin within a hour.

I've recent;y got a metz flash, which only triggers once I've put on camera for one flash, then fine. I think the flash needs the aperture setting which I can't set manually.
So try that, put on camera, take a shot, then without switching off, place back on ebay receiver.

Might sound a bit stupid, but the description of flashes that appear on the ebay listing does not mention Jessops 360 AFD flash? Are you sure its compatible to that flash, in other words have you tried another flash ( a loan even)

The trigger has no way of knowing what make or model of flash is on it, all it does is send the electricity to the centre pin, so unless the 360 in question is different to al the others then it should work fine.

I'd suggest checking the settings on the 360 though, before throwing in the towel as if it's set to S (for slave) mode the hotshoe connection on the flash is disabled and it's very easy to bump the switch into S mode....;)

still not working and looks like i have broken my flash now.

Crap, eh? These crap eBay triggers are just false economy and a real lottery... mine drove me insane... :bang:

will only fire in ttl mode and seems to be stuck on some low power setting. luckily its only a week old so i can take it back today.

all it does is send the electricity to the centre pin

It's even simpler than that! All it does is short out the centre pin to the outer casing.

If the receiver light is flashing then the most likely problem is mechanical contact between the flash terminals and the mating contacts on the receiver.

With the receiver turned off, fit the flash to the hotshoe. When it is ready to fire, short out the sync. connector contacts with a key or a paper clip (or something conductive). As the hot shoe contacts and pc sync. contacts are wired in parallel, that should fire the flash. If it does, the problem is in the receiver itself. If not, the problem is the receiver to flash connection.

Steve.

My Fleabay triggers fired just fine. A bit too fine, actually as they went off for no apparrent reason. A flash firing at random is not the most professional looking thing...

I got rid of them and went with Elinchrom Skyports. Pricier than Cactus/Ebay triggers, cheaper than Pocket Wizards (by a fair margin) but with great range. I did a range shootout with the Craptus triggers here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=671101

My Fleabay triggers fired just fine. A bit too fine, actually as they went off for no apparrent reason. A flash firing at random is not the most professional looking thing...

I got rid of them and went with Elinchrom Skyports. Pricier than Cactus/Ebay triggers, cheaper than Pocket Wizards (by a fair margin) but with great range. I did a range shootout with the Craptus triggers here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=671101

:plus1: for skyports. They're a happy medium between ebay triggers and pocket wizards. I'm really happy with mine and couldn't see myself "upgrading" to pocket wizards even if I had the money for them. Only thing missing from skyports is the ability to trigger the camera but maybe it just needs a cable? But yeah, skyports fire every time without fail. Great little things.

Back