CREDIT CARD START DATE

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I received a new CC today ( replacement following an attempted fraud).

Obviously the 16 digit number has been changed. The expiry date is as before. That is fine.

However, there is no start date (I have read that banks do not now make use of it).

That has me wondering what happens when I attempt to purchase from a website that uses a form that requires a start date.

I have visions of their being a problem with this. Website forms tend to balk when any field is left blank.

There are always people on here who can explain things.

Please offer advice.

I can't honestly remember the last time I had to put a start date into a web form.

I can't honestly remember the last time I had to put a start date into a web form.

I have just updated my Amazon account CC details. There was a field for the Start date. I entered the start date of my previous card. It was accepted and I made a couple of purchases.

The ones I use that want a start date, usually say "optional" at the side of them. Not that many ask for it now.

I run an e-commerce site and also write the code for the site. Last year I wrote the API for our card payments via Sagepay and the start date is no longer used for authorising a card payment.

I think it’s a throw back to earlier Maestro / Delta cards which is why some sites still ask for it but usually state that it’s optional. It’s certainly not needed for visa, Mastercard, or Amex.

Thanks for all the input folks ........... :clap:

Back