Crichton Castle, MidLothian

Edit My Images
Yes
crichton_Castlecl.jpg

Been planning a visit for ages, looks nice. Did you use an ND Grad?

No nd grads, more or less straight out the camera, did a very little usm and tweaked the greenery a little in CS 3

Thanks for looking guys, Dimitri how could I have improved on this shot, was it composition or exposure ? I'm still in learning mode here so all and any tips are always gratefully received.

This shot is not level - look at your verticals. I am sure that no two will be exactly right however there is a noticeable lean in this image.

The castle is not significantly different in colour to the foreground and the sky is a little dull and uninteresting. Tweaking may help but I think you need to return when the light is more conducive to photography.

The sky was pretty rubbish when I was there, I did a few tweaks in CS 3, is this any improvement. I think the perhaps with the horizon sloping down to the left behind the castle were putting me off a bit. Also I think another problem may have is I tend not to do too much PP' ing, afraid of overcooking it. I'll return another day as it's not too far from me.

Is this any better ?

crichton_Castle2.jpg

the edit is much better but feel there is still some potential left. have you tried burning in the castle and FG? i dont partularly like the crop, the castle had more room to breathe in the original.

dave

Thanks dave, had a go with the butn tool, (edit not posted)another tool in PS I'll need to get used to, it certainly made a difference

Thanks for looking guys, Dimitri how could I have improved on this shot, was it composition or exposure ? I'm still in learning mode here so all and any tips are always gratefully received.

Comp wise you could choose a different angle with something of interest in the fg and the castle doesn`t have to fill the whole frame.
However the problem with this one is that its dead flat and has that badly HDR done look in it, it needs shadows and some darker walls to bring out the beauty of it.

Back