Cricket - 1st time, advice please

Name
And
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I'm after a bit of advice re shooting a cricket match.

I'm off to see one of my friends play tomorrow and I'm going to try and get some action shots of him.

I've not shot any cricket yet and was just after some inital settings to work from and which metering mode is best suited, due to the whites.

I'm taking a 300mm prime, but don't yet have the TC so i'm hopefull i'll be able to get close enough.

Any hints / tips etc would be very much appreciated

Andy

Where are you going? What league? Some leagues have smaller grounds than others.. or us it just park ?

Where are you going? What league? Some leagues have smaller grounds than others.. or us it just park ?

Hi Tony

Stockport, near Strawberry Gardnes Pub I'm told, it is a ground and is the Saturday league ? - does that make sense

Right.. thought it might be one I know ..its not.. Saturday league cricket if same as here you will be OK with a 300.. I tend to meter off the grass then over expose or under expose depending on the sun.. your right about the whites and usually the background is a different colour of white as well.. watch for carparks in background.. esp red cars..

presume sunny day. go for f5.6

BTW arn't you in accy?

Right.. thought it might be one I know ..its not.. Saturday league cricket if same as here you will be OK with a 300.. I tend to meter off the grass then over expose or under expose depending on the sun.. your right about the whites and usually the background is a different colour of white as well.. watch for carparks in background.. esp red cars..

BTW arn't you in accy?

Great thanks Tony

Yes up bash !

Well I'll have a go and see what happens, hoping it stays as sunny as it is now, not sure where the wicket will be in relation to the sun and car park.

I'm hoping he has a really good run and scores well, and then I catch him getting bowled out with the wicket and bales flying :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Tony

What in your opinion do you think the sellers are when it comes to cricket...and what do you think the best viewpoint is ?

Think we chatted on the phone about me buying an old 400mm from you earlier this year or maybe late last year ?

Tug

Depends what you eman by seller? to papers or as prints?

To papers its a bit like football.. different papers like different things.. some like close ups and some like a fuller view wiht batsman and bowler.. you ahve to know what the pic editor likes

The best print sellers for local cricket are the same wiht local football.. if wifey, girlfriend or mother can see the players face they will buy it.. doesnt have to be a fantastic shot.

There isnt a magic way of doing cricket that sells i am afarid...

BTW arn't you in accy?

Hi sorry to jump in on your thread, I was just wondering why you would meter off the grass? Is this because it is a mid tone? Would you spot meter this or centre weighted? Could you explain what would happen if you exposed for the whites and then + 1 stop over exposed.
Sorry for all the questions just eager to learn.

Gary

Hi sorry to jump in on your thread, I was just wondering why you would meter off the grass? Is this because it is a mid tone? Would you spot meter this or centre weighted? Could you explain what would happen if you exposed for the whites and then + 1 stop over exposed.

Gary

I meter off the grass out of habit as I do that for all sports..no grey cards when your using long lens eh :) There is no difference between that and metering of the whites then adjust accordingly...

Metering at cricket is just to get a starting point.. its usually that bright you ahve to adjust to way off the setting you got anyway.. as you say up to a full stop difference sometimes.

Gary

Not a problem Gary, Tony was a lot of experience with sports so his advice is very welcome.

Thanks for your help Tony, going to have a look through the shots I got yesterday, think a couple have turned out okay, struggled with the light mid afternoon onwards. Most difficult thing I found was focusing, tried auto and manually focusing on a point - great fun having a real good play

Andy

You are spot on "Tony does have a lot of experiance at this game" just checked out his site awsome photo's.
Do you shoot these sports in manual after taking a reading Tony?

You are spot on "Tony does have a lot of experiance at this game" just checked out his site awsome photo's.
Do you shoot these sports in manual after taking a reading Tony?

I used to.. but lately been using AV its so good and better fer when I ahve to swing over to a catch for example

Not a problem Gary, Tony was a lot of experience with sports so his advice is very welcome.

Thanks for your help Tony, going to have a look through the shots I got yesterday, think a couple have turned out okay, struggled with the light mid afternoon onwards. Most difficult thing I found was focusing, tried auto and manually focusing on a point - great fun having a real good play

Andy

I meant to post pre weekend but then didnt get chance.. if your doing cricket again feel free to borrow a 1.4 tc or x2 off me.. seeing as your just up the rd... will give you the extra reach :)

I meant to post pre weekend but then didnt get chance.. if your doing cricket again feel free to borrow a 1.4 tc or x2 off me.. seeing as your just up the rd... will give you the extra reach :)

Wow thanks Tony, very generous

Will def take you up on that offer (y)

As you say, I'm just up the road, if you need anyone to carry some gear / a bit of help (well prob more a hinderance :LOL:), please let me know, willing to learn all the time

One from the match, would have been great if it was front facing, but the sun was in the wrong place, but I like it, esp as it's the first time I've had a go at cricket.

Thanks again

Andy

Loverly colours look at the ball.. but as you say back of player no good.. The sun? thats the buety of cricket... every 6 balls the batsmans facing you :)

Baxenden where you are is a small ground.. good for photography.. I am at clitheroe saturday as they will probably win the league on the day.. no idea where i am sunday

just PM me if your going cricket.. i dont use the extenders but wont get rid just in case I do need them one day.... athletics end of month might use the x2... furthur away from them javelins the better whenn ya want a head on pic :)

Loverly colours look at the ball.. but as you say back of player no good.. The sun? thats the buety of cricket... every 6 balls the batsmans facing you :)

Thanks for that. Yes, but he didn't seem to play as good from the other end :shrug: = probably the sun :LOL:

Have put a few up in the photo section http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=258807

Baxenden where you are is a small ground.. good for photography.. I am at clitheroe saturday as they will probably win the league on the day.. no idea where i am sunday

just PM me if your going cricket.. i dont use the extenders but wont get rid just in case I do need them one day.... athletics end of month might use the x2... furthur away from them javelins the better whenn ya want a head on pic :)

Thanks Tony, will do, hope the weather keeps up

Last edited:
i dont use the extenders but wont get rid just in case I do need them one day.... athletics end of month might use the x2... furthur away from them javelins the better whenn ya want a head on pic :)

:LOL:

Use in Aperture priority at 2.8 wide open. Fastest shutter speed possible 1/4000 sec + I use a tripod some times or monopod... And a stool to sit on :) use manual exposure if you can and hope you have a sunny day.... 300 I feel is ok, but I generally use 400 which is still too short. I've shot international at the MCG and for that 600 is the only lens to use... It's a big ground...

f/2.8 at cricket for a first timer at cricket? You're joking aren't you?

DemiLion said:
f/2.8 at cricket for a first timer at cricket? You're joking aren't you?

Not at all mate :) depth of field is not the same at three meters as it is at fifty or sixty meters. 2.8 at 3m may only be a cm or two, but at 100m is going to be much more. Without looking at my lens or a 'depth of field calculator', I couldn't give you exact figures. On the top of your lens, you might have red indicators either side of your distance scale which will give you an indication of DoF... Obviously, if you to get the fielders in the picture in sharp focus, then you'd want to use a smaller aperture, but at 2.8 you will isolate the batsman nicely from the chanting masses in the background....

What I have done in the past is set my camera up on a tripod nicely framing the batsman and keeper, really work on the focus also using a remote shutter, second camera at the ready for any fielding action.. With the camera on the tripod you can just leave it and pick up the other camera quickly and safely... With the use of a tripod, you will easily be able to get a full sequence perhaps, like a run out. It works well, and you don't have the burden of a 300 round your neck all day. What you will need to do though is rig up some sort of shade, a brolly tied to your tripod for example, especially if your planning a day of it....

Not at all mate :) depth of field is not the same at three meters as it is at fifty or sixty meters. 2.8 at 3m may only be a cm or two, but at 100m is going to be much more. Without looking at my lens or a 'depth of field calculator', I couldn't give you exact figures. On the top of your lens, you might have red indicators either side of your distance scale which will give you an indication of DoF... Obviously, if you to get the fielders in the picture in sharp focus, then you'd want to use a smaller aperture, but at 2.8 you will isolate the batsman nicely from the chanting masses in the background....

sorry but shooting cricket at F/2.8 is utter rubbish, minimum i would use is f/4.8 or f/5.6 :thinking:

Besides, to freeze the ball you wil need 1/4000 sec so 2.8 is essential...

At 1/4000 sec or more, you should see the threads on the ball focused correctly...

I am putting this in the corner wiht the f10 for football thread :)

Barry, considering that you live on the opposite side of the world, could you explain how you are qualified to assess exposure settings in England (ignoring the fact that you are talking tosh anyway)?

DemiLion said:
Barry, considering that you live on the opposite side of the world, could you explain how you are qualified to assess exposure settings in England (ignoring the fact that you are talking tosh anyway)?

Well, you may have a point, but we also have crap weather here on occasions, but that's how I've done it very successfully...
As for the comments above, you guys must be really good photographers....

Andy

I know conventional wisdom is that you must have the batsman's face in the image.

However I love this image. It just so speaks cricket.

I like that you can see the flowers and trees in the background. That you can see it's a club wicket. That the ball is so red and that there are no other players or distractions in the image.

It may not be a shot that will sell, but as per above still a lovely shot in my mind.

Last edited:
Andy

I know conventional wisdom is that you must have the batsman's face in the image.

However I love this image. It just so speaks cricket.

I like that you can see the flowers and trees in the background. That you can see it's a club wicket. That the ball is so red and that there are no other players or distractions in the image.

It may not be a shot that will sell, but as per above still a lovely shot in my mind.

Very good point Rob!

I only take cricket/rugby pictures for fun so I try and capture parts of the game that can go together with other pictures and tell a "story" for those who weren't there to see it.

Going off topic a little......

So far I've only taken pictures of clubs that I'm associated with so they may use them on their website. I know there's the "devaluing" arguement by not selling the photos to the clubs but these are clubs that I have played for (or family members are involved in) and I feel that by allowing them to use my photos, I'm helping to promote the club in some way.

However if I was approached by another club I'd make sure it was worth my while ;)

So far I've only taken pictures of clubs that I'm associated with so they may use them on their website. I know there's the "devaluing" arguement by not selling the photos to the clubs but these are clubs that I have played for

I wouldnt get too wrapped up in this devaluing stuff... as far as i know if its your club (Cricket, Rugby, Football.. ) then its more than acceptable to give them pics.. i would :)

I wouldnt get too wrapped up in this devaluing stuff... as far as i know if its your club (Cricket, Rugby, Football.. ) then its more than acceptable to give them pics.. i would :)

As per Kipax.

I absolutely agree with both Tony and Rob, at club level there's nothing wrong with photographing for free. In fact most of my equestrian stuff is done on that basis because I wouldn't have got involved in the sport without them.

The only time that I get ticked off is when images are provided to newspapers for free! :)

And there's me feeling guilty :LOL:

Good to hear though guys, I'll try and keep up the good work :love:

Back