critique: finally my first Kingfisher

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

I'm a very infrequent poster on here, but finally have managed to capture my first Kingfisher, last week in Shropshire.

any C&C gratefully received. There have been some beautiful ones on here which I've viewed, inspiring me to have a go myself.

1) Kingfisher in late afternoon sun

2) tail up

cheers

Dom

Dom you've done really well there mate. (y) Far better than my first KF efforts.

They'll both stand a good sharpen and both look good enough quality to show larger than this and do them proper justice - worth a try anyway.

Now this is just my opinion, but KFs are blue and orange. In certain light, parts of the body feathers can appear geen, but when I see a predominantly green KF in a a photo like yours here, I suspect a white balance issue.

Here's both pics edited and wb set to 6500K (Daylight) but you done really good Danno. (y)

4963906351_751652a83e_o.jpg

4964507772_be7d423b19_o.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, many thanks for your compliment.

Danno, many thanks for your comments and WB adjustment. Looking back, I think you're dead right about the colouring and the early evening sunlight was beautiful (though might have skewed the colouring) - your alteration is appreciated!

I'm interested, seeing that you have a 7D (and 50D), because I'm at a point where I suspect upgrading my camera body could help my images too. I'm not convinced that my 40D with big lens + x1.4 TC is quite delivering the sharpness that the set up (on tripod and steady hand) should justify and another comment on my thread suggests this too - not to mention your comment that the two photos could take a bit of sharpening. I did some sharpening, but am quite cautious with sharpening (to the extent that I probably underdo it), but really dislike seeing over-sharpened photos. So, again your comment on this was v. useful and appreciated. thanks.

Do you think an upgrade from 40D to 7D (with same lens + TC etc.) would add anything to my Kingfisher photos in decent light?

cheers for your constructive points, Danno.

Dom :)

There I go giving my age away. :D "You done good Danno" was a frequently used phrase in the old TV series Hawai Five O. I'm Cedric- soz for the confusion.

The short answer is you'd see a huge difference upgrading to either the 50D or the 7D - all those extra pixels make a huge difference to your ability to crop tighter. In fact you'd probably see a more noticeable return from upgrading your sensor at this stage than spending a lot on glass.

Obviously, the 7D is the one to go for if you can stretch to it - it has a lot more extra features than just the extra pixels, including a first class new focus system which really comes into it's own for action shots and BIF shots.

See -first Kingfisher and you're already on the rocky road to to ruin. :LOL:

I disagree with the upgrade from a 40D to a 50D and seeing a huge difference. I own both and get as good shots from the 40 as I can from the 50. Sure, you can crop in more on the 50, but in terms of clarity I don't see a noticable improvement.

The 40D is a very good camera (shutter problems aside).

In the shots above, while the bird in the 2nd shot looks a tad soft, the perch isn't. I wonder if shooting with a bigger depth of field might result in some sharper images?

But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, who am I to say "don't buy a new camera" ? :D

Great shots Dominic.(y)

I upgraded from a 450D to a 7D and I noticed an increase in the quality of my Kingfisher shots.
I only have a Sigma 150-500mm, I don't have the funds for big white lenses at the mo.
Up until recently I doubted the sharpness of my siggy. A change in technique was needed and has helped with my shots and my wallet. (see some of my recent posts)

I now get as close as possible to the Kingfishers usually within 2-3 meters. I use a rock steady tripod, cable release and mirror lock where ever possible. Good field craft also goes along way in capturing sharp Kingfisher shots.

The first is always the hardest. Keep them coming.

Congratulations on your first KFs Dominic :)

I think the edits by "Danno" show how well you have done, good stuff :)

Pete, Martin and Anthony - many thanks for your comments - some useful stuff to consider, especially re: DoF/aperture (possibly) and technique.

much appreciated,

Dom

Lovely images

doesn't the sharpening make a difference eh? :D

Wish my first KF pics had been as good as these

Congrats on your first Dominic with two good captures (y) Ct`s edit has done them justice. Having that good light is a bonus that a lot of us rarely have.

Great shots Dominic.(y)

I now get as close as possible to the Kingfishers usually within 2-3 meters. I use a rock steady tripod, cable release and mirror lock where ever possible. Good field craft also goes along way in capturing sharp Kingfisher shots.

2-3 metres martin? :thinking:
im just curious...nothing else...i cant afford a 500mm siggy...:crying:
great KF shots! i like the first one!

2-3 metres martin? :thinking:

Arrive early leave late. Set up your hide when there are no birds about. Place your perches in spots where you can use your gear close by.
When a kingy does arrive make no sudden movements. Noise is not really an issue if they can't see you.

I have had them land within the minimum focal range of my lens. When this happens I just smile and take in their beauty.

no: 2 & 3 in the thread below were taken at about 2m away.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=252139

I use a rock steady tripod, cable release and mirror lock where ever possible.

Do you photograph yours in Amsterdam...................:naughty:

Good field craft also goes along way in capturing sharp Kingfisher shots.

Nope, a good,well thought out hide makes the difference...............(y)

Do you photograph yours in Amsterdam...................:naughty:

Nope, a good,well thought out hide makes the difference...............(y)

No, but if you know of a location I will be there.;)

Aggreed, but you still have to the skill to get it in place without disturbing the little buggers.

Back