Critique on a wedding album please

-Rob-

Say Cheese!...Oh, and call me Susan
Edit My Images
No
I'm not sure if this part of the forum is for critique but as I'm not after critique of a particular photo but an entire wedding album I'm hoping it's OK.

I've not shot loads of weddings and I've only put a few albums together and it's something I hate doing so I would appreciate a bit of feedback on the latest album I'm compiled for a wedding I did back in September. I hand the album over to the couple later today so I hope they like it.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/1313367/25ac53accc9ab1ba5235c0ea30989d71

Last edited:
Overall not bad Rob, the lack of any heavy handed processing means you have a good clean set of images.

Album design is not easy and it's almost a different skill set completely to photography. It's one thing I have rally struggled with and just about starting to get happy with nearly three years in so I know how you feel!

The only thing I don't really like about the layout is the slight overlap and some odd sized images (speeches page)

Here's a link to one of my favourite design companies and I go and have a good look at these before I do any myself just to remind me what good design looks like! lol

http://www.modernalbumdesigns.com/samples.html

One thing I've found with overlaps is that if you add a drop shadow to the overlapping image it seperates them and makes them look better. Also sometimes a white border around the photo's on a black background lifts them from the page. Doesn't have to be massive.

Thanks for the comments, I can see where you're coming from and i'll take note with my next album.

I've just got back from delivering the album to the couple and they loved it. Even though they'd seen a sample album and they'd seen their photo that were going in it, they were amazed at the album.

I was very impressed with the paper quality of the blurb album, it seems a lot thicker than previous albums i've done. Have they improved the premium paper recently?

Glad the couple loved it Rob. When I design the albums and memory books I always have a viewing session with the couple to agree the book and sign it off before ordering it. Any changes with the design can then be corrected on the spot. It may be something worth considering going forward.

I know that would be ideal from the bride or groom's point of view but they get to see a copy of my sample album and I tend to keep my album designs pretty similar from wedding to wedding so they know pretty much what they'll be getting. I suppose if I were to offer something a bit different then I would be better off getting their view before printing.

Back