Crop factor help

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been avoiding the crop factor issue of my d3000 by sending my images to print by copying them into word and printing from there, but I sent a few to a lab for printing on a4 and the crop has kicked in and I need to reprint I.

I understand how it has happened but not how to "fix it"??

I use elements 8. Can anyone help me out and tell me what to do prior to printing to get the whole image.

Thanks

most labs have to crop the image - normally 3% magnifaction is applied in the printer - its done to ensure all the paper is exposed as the paper dosen't always register exactly. The only sure fire way is to add a border of 3-4mm round your image.... however, remember if you are framing the photo 5mm of so will be hidden behind the frame - and most apertures are cut smaller than the paper size so the paper doesn't fall through.... so you might want to add a bigger border.

Thanks - I'll have to add a wide border then and resent everything for printing

crop factor won't make any difference its the aspect ratio for prints

3:2 sensor is fine for 6x4, 9x6 12x8 etc you'll loose a bit on a 7x5 print (3:2 aspect makes a 7.5x5 print)

POAH said:

3:2 sensor is fine for 6x4, 9x6 12x8 etc you'll loose a bit on a 7x5 print (3:2 aspect makes a 7.5x5 print)

This. ^
You need to decide what size print you need. The work out the aspect ratio, then decide on the crop you want to apply. It's extremely rare to 'need' to display your entire image edge to edge. Your image is looser than what you had in. Your viewfinder.

You need to frame looser if you're printing a lot of 10x8s

Phil V said:
This. ^
You need to decide what size print you need. The work out the aspect ratio, then decide on the crop you want to apply. It's extremely rare to 'need' to display your entire image edge to edge. Your image is looser than what you had in. Your viewfinder.

You need to frame looser if you're printing a lot of 10x8s

Hi by frame loser what do you mean???? The images are cropped, I added a border where necessary (not all the way around) to change them from custom sizes to a4 for printing but I have still lost edges

POAH said:

I will have to google that - it's a d3000 camera thanks for the input - even if I don't understand it.

The easiest way around this is open your photo in your editing software, grab the crop tool & put the dimensions you need into the crop tool boxes, then run out this tool to achieve the parts of the photo you want in the print, send this to the lab & this is (apart from very small margins ie 1mm) what you will get back printed.

Hope that made sense & I haven't stated the very obvious to you? It is as said above to do with aspect ratio, nothing to do with the crop from your cameras sensor.

ukglyn said:
The easiest way around this is open your photo in your editing software, grab the crop tool & put the dimensions you need into the crop tool boxes, then run out this tool to achieve the parts of the photo you want in the print, send this to the lab & this is (apart from very small margins ie 1mm) what you will get back printed.

Hope that made sense & I haven't stated the very obvious to you? It is as said above to do with aspect ratio, nothing to do with the crop from your cameras sensor.

No that's really really helpful, I didn't realise I could change the size of the crop box that comes up automatically.

Brilliant thanks - I'm using elements 8 and I am very new to this.

Back