cross-dressing

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
Ah, but no, just dipped a couple of (C41) colour rolls in ID-11 for the helluvit... man are they dense - gonna need a laser in the scanner to see through them!

Fun though :D

Try processing black and white in c-41 then:D

Just don't bleach it or you'll destroy the images. I remember reading it somewhere how you can do it like that with high contrast images on films like technical pan to get a more usable lower contrast image.

One effect I would like to try one day when I am am able to do some developing is try developing colour neg film in black and white, bleach it in something (can't remember exactly what) and then reprocess in colour. You then apparently get a pastel like low contrast colour negative.

Last edited:
The one thing I'm not happy with the Tetenal C-41 kit is that the Bleach and Fix is combined. I vaguely remember using a Kodak C-41 15+ years ago, where every process chemical was separate. One of my favourite effects was to do bleach bypass - process as normal, but either do an extremely short bleach or miss it out alltogether. Gave a sort of Subdued/washed out colouring and heavy contrast effect. Sadly, the Tetenal kit comes with a BLIX, and you're stuck with it. Any attempt at under-cooking it, and your image isn't fixed properly :(

You could try the Fuji Hunt kit or the Rollei Digibase kit at Ag Photographic, both of them are 4 bath versions with separate bleach/fix

Well, having retrieved the Veho, figured how to get Ultimate to read it, and remembering that I hadn't scanned them... here's a couple from a roll of Kodacolour Gold 200 (see - now you know why I cross-processed it :LOL:) These below were taken with the Yashica Partner.

This one scanned in BW...

9-7-2010_006-a.jpg

While this one scanned in 24-bit colour...

9-7-2010_0062-a.jpg

The last one fascinated me when I saw the reflection - radiating from the centre of the window it looked too good a chance to miss! I do have a confession to make about this pic - but only if I have to! The negs themselves are *really* dense, one needs a scanner that allows a bit of control since PP doesn't cut it if the image is too weak to start.

Last edited:
More cross-processing fun then - this time I have tried to keep some colour but have also shown a bw crop as well, just because I can :D This I think was Kodacolour Gold 200 also, but may have been Truprint
barf.gif
. Either way, nothing really worth mixing up the Tetenal for :LOL:

crossed-mix.jpg

'nother update... The CL arrived and the Minolta Prod was still in use. Dammit. I could not wait so nicked the film half-done and put it in the CL... it was Centuria 400...

As ever, couldn't be arshed to mix up the tetenal so once more cooked in ID-11. Did alright actually, both cameras come through the test OK but I really am loving this little Leica already. So much so that I have finally sorted the Ultron I bought in pieces a while back and it's ready to go :D

Anyway, a couple of images then - first from the Minolta Prod 20s (which is going) and the second from the Leica CL and the Jupiter-8. I have to say I am really loving the harshness I seem to be getting with the cross-processing, and incidentally, the colour film is costing me less than proper BW too :LOL:

Untitled_-_13.jpg

Untitled_-_9.jpg

The one thing I'm not happy with the Tetenal C-41 kit is that the Bleach and Fix is combined. I vaguely remember using a Kodak C-41 15+ years ago, where every process chemical was separate. One of my favourite effects was to do bleach bypass - process as normal, but either do an extremely short bleach or miss it out alltogether. Gave a sort of Subdued/washed out colouring and heavy contrast effect. Sadly, the Tetenal kit comes with a BLIX, and you're stuck with it. Any attempt at under-cooking it, and your image isn't fixed properly :(

Yeah!!!! Bleach bypass... that's a favourite of cinematographers that is!

Three Kings (George Clooney) was bleach bypassed as was 1984 with Richard Burton. Both have a gorgeous effect.

Only some parts of Three Kings were shot with bleach bypass to show the discontent of the soldiers at the end of the war. There are three film styles in the film for the different parts, colour neg film bleach bypassed, Ektachrome transparency cross processed to give unnatural colours and standard Ektachrome processed normally. The ektachrome caused problems as there were only a few labs that would process it and compensate if they were unable to develop it properly but eventually a lab was found. Most feature films a shot on colour neg as the wider lattitude allows for errors in exposure during the printing stage.

One interesting point I found is that its impossible to do bleach bypass on transparency film as the bleach is an essential part of the process to get an image

Only some parts of Three Kings were shot with bleach bypass to show the discontent of the soldiers at the end of the war. There are three film styles in the film for the different parts, colour neg film bleach bypassed, Ektachrome transparency cross processed to give unnatural colours and standard Ektachrome processed normally. The ektachrome caused problems as there were only a few labs that would process it and compensate if they were unable to develop it properly but eventually a lab was found. Most feature films a shot on colour neg as the wider lattitude allows for errors in exposure during the printing stage.

One interesting point I found is that its impossible to do bleach bypass on transparency film as the bleach is an essential part of the process to get an image

Impressive...the man knows his cinematography! The motion picture division of Kodak (Vision 3 colour neg) is what spawned Ektar 100 I believe. If it wasn't for hollywood chances are we'd not be having any discussions about film!

Back