Cross

Edit My Images
Yes
this is not my usual type of photograph, and i like to get reviews from different forums, so i thought i would post this here to see how it goes down.
thank you.

cross.jpg

That's quite spooky Stev ... and a scary facial too ! Quite like it ...

Quite an interesting slant on the picture though ... could do with straightening the verticals a tad ?

BTB ... Good luck for tomorrow m8 - hope it goes well for you !

Like you I was interested to see other's reaction.

I like the overall image - I trust everyone says one for you tomorrow- good luck!

Does have a spooky surrealism about it, the mono effect and composition work well in bringing out the facial expression and emphasises the twists in the body, all captured very well. And the grainy texture looks more like an efect of the camera than the texture of the stone, adding to its surrealism.

Goodluck with your first day, hope it goes well (y)

Quite a powerful shot. The Mono forces you to concentrate on the textures & that tortured expression....shiver....

Glad I am seeing this in the morning and not before I go to bed:eek:

Well seen and nice treatment m8 (y)

so i thought i would post this here to see how it goes down

Well given the high quality of the work you post up these days I'm going to start being really picky with your stuff. ;)

I like it alot and it's hugely evocative..................

but............:LOL:

there are two small areas that stand out to me to comment on. Firstly, I'm not sure if it's the weathered nature of the statue that's giving me the impression that it's a little soft. I'm guessing it is as it does look quite time worn but it niggled a tiny bit as the corner of the cross colum looks sharp enough to shave with.

The other point was the balance of the arms in the shot. It just feels a wee bit off for my taste but certainly doesn't take away from the power or expressoin of the shot.

Nice conversion too, good solid black and a nice range of tones in the stone. Have you used the burn tool in the top right corner?

D :)

many thanks for the comments, taken onboard. It is true to say, the statue has deteriorated far quicker than the cross, must be different stone, and it is 100 years old.
the shot has probably gone soft due to the compression , but yes, i did use the burn tool in the top corner.
If i had taken the shot with his right hand showing, i couldn't have gotten the angle i did.
Anyway, many thanks for knowledge, i really appreciate it.

If i had taken the shot with his right hand showing, i couldn't have gotten the angle i did.
It's a hard one to explain but it's not about getting the hand in, more something about the relationship between the left and right arm that doesn't feel balanced to me. It's a very small point and I don't want to give the impression that I'm being negative about the photo. It's very good but as I said above, your shots are usually pretty damn good so I try and voice any and every little thing that comes to mind when I see them.

I would suggest you adopt the thought process most people do with my ramblings......... :shrug: :thinking: :wacky:

;)

i find that a little disturbing!

saying that it takes a good photo to provoke an emotion, so nice one :)

dazzajl said:
It's a very small point and I don't want to give the impression that I'm being negative about the photo. It's very good but as I said above, your shots are usually pretty damn good so I try and voice any and every little thing that comes to mind when I see them.

I would suggest you adopt the thought process most people do with my ramblings......... :shrug: :thinking: :wacky:

;)

hi dazzaji
i relish critism, especially positive one's, this forum is full of real people with good knowledge and a friendly nature, i can only learn from their help, and hope to become a better photo taker in the future.(y)

Forbiddenbiker said:
I see an overly sharp edge on the nearside of the cross...this looks a little odd.
Although I perhaps wouldn’t have noticed straightaway if dazz hadn't pointed it out to be honest. :)

hi FBB
i think what you can see is probably where i dodged the image a tad to get some contrast in it, i dont remember even sharpening the image, but hey, i could be wrong.

think that's one of the strongest images I've seen from you yet steve imo.

thanks ghandi, coming from you, i am taking that as a major compliment.

really strong, creepy, just what every one else has said (y)

Back