Crossbills, Wrens, Wheatear, Puffin, Gannet

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from the past couple of days around Sumburgh lighthouse RSPB reserve...

Have never seen a Crossbill before - then suddenly get a flock of 20ish appearing whilst we were watching the Puffins. One landed so close I couldn't focus! Might take a look later and see if they're still about to get some better shots.

1/ Crossbill. the setting sun and foggy sky made everything a lovely golden colour
_JJM8274.jpg

2/ Another one, less of a crop than the first.
_JJM8278.jpg

3/ Wren, looking puffy
_JJM8239.jpg

4, Wren, looking at me.
_JJM8238.jpg

5/ Wheatear
_JJM8229.jpg

6/ Yawn
_JJM8213.jpg

7/ Flypast
_JJM8194.jpg

8/ And a tufty little baby Wren:) There were heaps of them doing flight-tests, falling off walls and unsuccessfully attempting to land on fences:D
_JJM8244.jpg

Ta for looking,
John

What a gorgeous set of shots! I bet you were well chuffed with getting some shots of the Cross bills?!

We went to Bempton Cliffs on Thursday for the Puffins. Though that should be singular, as there was only 1. I didn't even get to see that as it was too low for me to see sitting on my scooter :(

All great shots, but 2,3 and 4 are only excellent :clap::clap:

These are all amazing, what lens did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Alison :)

Thank you all for the kind comments:)
I'm very pleased with the Wrens too - certainly the best I've managed. I think after all my trying thay have taken pity on me and decided to sit still for 3 seconds:LOL:

I have a few more Crossbill (very apt name!) shots but the backgrounds were poor. Hopefully I will get another chance before they leave.

These are all amazing, what lens did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Alison :)

All with the Sigma 150-500 - it has rarely been off the camera since I bought it:)

John

Wonderful set of shots, making me green with envy, well done indeed. Wrens are a favourite bird of mine, I like the shots you got very much.
Great work.
Trev

Great set of shots, love the crossbill ones. There were some Two-barred ones up there last year did you get any shots of them.

Back