Crystal Egg (thingy)

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Not a very exciting title and something completely different to what I'd normally shoot but.....Had a play last night for the illumination comp. I tried shooting this with various light sources, various angles and various shutter times in bulb mode. This was taken in the dark, with only a very small torch torch to illuminate the crystal egg.
28-70mm @ 70mm, F4, 9 sec bulb, Iso 100, mirror lock up, small torch 3ft from egg circled subject 3 times.
Doesn't necessarily say illumination and that's why I’m putting it here.

Thoughts, advice and comments gratefully received.
Thanks for looking.
Ken.

i did something similar to this last year Ken with Snowmen, (stick with me!) and i found it worked better if i played the light all round it, eventually i settled on a small well hidden light behind the piece, you could try something similar Under the piece, i will find the shot im talking about...

good idea for a shot there, looks like it would make a nice product/advertising image. not much constructive to say other than i like the technique but maybe if im being picky a bit more depth of field would be nice. :)

right i found the shot, this was taken last year by me for a chrimbo card, with my Fujis5000, so its a bit soft and a bit noisy....

Card.jpg

Thanks eosd, I did try it with the light from underneath and found that the top of the crystal became blown.....I also tried it with different coloured bulbs. :D If nothing else I got some good shots and a play around, this one stood out for me though.

ok Ken, its a shame, back lighting and lighting under always look cool, thats not to say that your egg isnt already!

I like it how it is Ken.
It shows enough detail with the lighting used.

Maybe a slightly longer exposure (or should that read 'torch'???) time or wider aperture would work, just to increase the contrast. I had a play with the levels in PS and it made the lighting a lot more vivid.

Other than that, I'd say it works perfectly as it is! :thumb:

EosD said:
ok Ken, its a shame, back lighting and lighting under always look cool, thats not to say that your egg isnt already!
I appreciate your help Eosd and may have to put more effort in to get the shots you suggest, like I say mine for one reason or another just don't seem right. This one was lit from underneath but is not straight on the camera but suffers less from the blown top.
And This one was taken using the torch but I like the effect in the ball itself and you can also see the trail from the torch but deffinately needs a larger dof.
Thanks for the comments again everyone.
Ken.

the first one is pretty good, i love blue light, the second, yeah, i see what you mean now!

Back