CS3 and web loading....

Name
Will Reynolds
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok Guys/Girls,

I have been shooting for a number of years now but mainly only film. I experimented with digital a few years back and liked it so i have had my S3 Pro for about half a year now. Previously i always shot in JPEG (12million pix-12mb shots) but have decided to shoot in RAW.

At the moment i am having a little problem with post processing etc.

Last night i opened a RAW image and done all the changes i needed to then i saved the files as a "PSD (photoshop file)", i then opned it in CS3 and added my border etc. Now this is where i am getting stuck.

Once all the editting is done do i save as a JPEG or PSD file?!

I tried to upload the images to flickr but i am having alot trouble. I saved one image and when i uploaded it to flickr it looked rubbisgh, I then saved the same file as a JPEG and unlicked the ICC button (something like that) and when uploaded it looked alot better. (ICC http://www.flickr.com/photos/willreynolds/3267424917/
NO ICC- http://www.flickr.com/photos/willreynolds/3268246850/in/photostream/ )

Basicly what im trying to get at (after a long winded post that probably makes no sense) is what the HELL do i do once i have shot in RAW!? I want to save the images for printing but also i want to save the images so i can get them on to flickr!? Please can people help. Sorry it has probably been answered 100 times but i cant seem to find a decent post and get my head around it all. Any information would be great. what steps people go through to edit images save them for printing and also for uploading to the net.

Cheers

Will

I am starting to feel like a spammer here but the Talk Photography/Script writer scripts would do the conversion, add the border, add text, convert to RGB, convert to whatever size you like and change to jpg/png etc etc for you. You can even run the script on a whole directory or multiple directories if you like using the BATCH script. Check out the link below.

I tried to upload the images to flickr but i am having alot trouble. I saved one image and when i uploaded it to flickr it looked rubbisgh, I then saved the same file as a JPEG and unlicked the ICC button (something like that) and when uploaded it looked alot better. (ICC http://www.flickr.com/photos/willreynolds/3267424917/
NO ICC- http://www.flickr.com/photos/willreynolds/3268246850/in/photostream/ )

The difference there is colour management and using AdobeRGB online. Have a read through this thread:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=103342&highlight=srgb

The difference there is colour management and using AdobeRGB online. Have a read through this thread:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=103342&highlight=srgb

Yep i had a breaf read of that thread that is why i clicked and unclicked the ICC button, but i think i should have a proper read of it all.

Just stuck on saving images etc. Once completely processed do i save as JPEG's because the file seems so small (2mb) when if i shot in JPEG and saved they would be about 4mb. I think im jsut totally confusing everyone.

The size of the jpg will also depend on the resolution of the image and the amount of compression (quality) used. When you save a jpeg the little window that pops up has a slider for quality and will also tell you the size of the file. For a full resolution image I keep the quality at max but for web sized images I pay more attention of the size of the file and try to get a 800px image below 200kb.

What I do,when finished p/p I make a duplicate and re size that and save as jpeg for uploading to flickr then I have one for printing and one for the web

Cathal

Thats the part that i dont get though.

After coversion from RAW to Photoshop file - its 18mb in size
Make all the changes in CS3 and save as PS file- its about 17/18mb
flatten the image and save as PS file - drops to 10.1mb (if i got a pro account on flickr i could up load it at that size)
flatten the image, save as JPEG - drops to 2mb (saved as highest quality)

This seems rather small (2mb) or am i wrong and this is fine to upload to Flickr and keep the PS file for printing!?

I think im being a total spaz here and making something alot harder than it is.

What setting do you have for quality when you save the image?

Also, an image like the example above will be a lot smaller than normal because the areas of flat colour will compress a lot better.

Yes but the resolution is only 1024px on the longest side and the file is around 120kb, presumably either you or flickr resized the image??

Yes but the resolution is only 1024px on the longest side and the file is around 120kb, presumably either you or flickr resized the image??

Oh s*** i think thats where i could be going wrong!!

Once i converted the RAW file i did not change the size of the image in CS3. Would this be causing all the problems? What size do you set the image size too.

For web use 800px is normally enough, anything higher and it starts to become printable at 6x4". If you're not worried about people downloading your images then use whatever size you want but as flickr is scaling down to 1024 I would suggest that as a max, better to control scaling/quality at your end than to let flickr do it.

For print use leave the size as is.

For web use 800px is normally enough, anything higher and it starts to become printable at 6x4". If you're not worried about people downloading your images then use whatever size you want but as flickr is scaling down to 1024 I would suggest that as a max, better to control scaling/quality at your end than to let flickr do it.

For print use leave the size as is.

Ok.....

So convert the file, make all the chnages etc. Once in photoshop if

A) want to use it for flickr save image they way i have been but to 800px
B) want to use the images for A4/3 printing - chnage the image size in CS3 and that will be fine.

Pretty much but remember to do some sharpening after scaling to 800px as scaling will soften the image somewhat.

Cool,

So the way i have done it for web use is fine. (saving it as JPEG etc) but you would suggest scaling the photo to 800px before putting it on Flickr.

And if i want to size the image up to A4, convert from raw open in CS3 set image size to A4 (or what ever i want) then sharpen the image, add border etc and save as JPEG for people/sending to print company. (keep the PS file for future editting?)

Back