CSCC Castle Combe - October 2020

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
After the disappointment of the Castle Combe Autumn Classic being cancelled due to a flooded circuit, it was looking like I was going to go the whole of 2020 without a motorsport event. Thankfully CSCC organised a very late season race day at Combe, but they were again threatened with heavy rain (and 45mph winds, for good measure). Somehow they got through the day and I enjoyed my first motorsport for over 18 months.

All Sony a7RII and Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 VXD, and I absolutely embraced the dark and moody aesthetic with these at was as bleak a day as I've ever shot motorsport!

1. 70mm, 1/20, f.8.0, ISO 100
CSCC Raceday by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

2. 95mm, 1/20, f10.0, ISO 100

3. 180mm, 1/25, f8.0, ISO 100

4. 180mm, 1/25, f13.0, ISO 100

5. 180mm, 1/15, f13.0, ISO 100

6. 180mm, 1/10, f16.0, ISO 100

7. 70mm, 1/8, f20.0, ISO 100

8. 180mm, 1/15, f16.0, ISO 100

some serious slow shutter speeds there. I don't have a steady hand so fair to play to you. Great panning.

some serious slow shutter speeds there. I don't have a steady hand so fair to play to you. Great panning.

Thank you, wasn't sure how that would work out given the ridiculous wind but it was too good an opportunity to miss given how dark it was (so no need to use an ND filter to get shutter speeds that slow), but I came away pretty pleased.

Really like the first one, limited colours and the sky, car & track all grey works well.

Really like the first one, limited colours and the sky, car & track all grey works well.

Thank you, that's by far my favourite from the set as it happens.

A great set, your style really working well with the conditions to show a great sense of mood. The first shot aesthetically is absolutely spot on though, love that one.

Another vote for the XJS, but also really like shots 5&6, which give a great sense of movement, and the final mini also works well.

Back